Tuesday, January 16, 2018

37 Days – Week 3 foundation - Take a Step: Give


37 Days – Week 3 foundation


Get Your Feet Wet

The Lord told Joshua, “Today I will begin to make you a great leader in the eyes of all the Israelites. They will know that I am with you, just as I was with Moses. Give this command to the priests who carry the Ark of the Covenant: ‘When you reach the banks of the Jordan River, take a few steps into the river and stop there.’” Joshua 3:7-8; 15-17

 
It was the harvest season, and the Jordan was overflowing its banks. But as soon as the feet of the priests who were carrying the Ark touched the water at the river’s edge, the water above that point began backing up a great distance away. Then all the people crossed over near the town of Jericho.

I love this part of our story. Joshua has taken his new position as the leader after Moses’ death. All eyes are on him, and he has to be feeling the pressure. Everyone is thinking the same thing. “If Moses were here, he would lift up his staff and command the Jordan river to part. After all, this is what he did at the Red Sea. A river would be easy for Moses.” But God was going to teach the new leader and the new Israel a different way of living. The land of Canaan was reserved for a people of faith. That’s why God left the giants and all their enemies in the land. He wanted Israel to believe in Him enough to act in faith. Fight in faith. And this “Joshua generation” was up for the task. God was moving His people from the desert of “just enough” to the land of overflowing. And in order for His people to take their inheritance, they would have to take a step of faith. God was saying, “Instead of Me drying up the Jordan so that no faith is required of you, I want you to take the first step into the water in faith. And when you act in faith, I will respond in power.” In other words, “Get your feet wet!”

Years ago, our hearts were stirred to be more generous in our financial giving as God was doing a healing work in the way we thought about and stewarded our finances. It was exciting. However, I was praying that God would increase our income. In prayer, God spoke clearly. He gave me a list of things to sell to decrease unnecessary debt. The list had a prized bass guitar—my pride and joy as a musician. “No Lord! Not my bass?” “Yes. Sell it and free up the money so you can do what you said you wanted Me to do.”

I did it, but now I had no bass guitar. This was part of my livelihood, not just a hobby. I was under orders to pay cash for its replacement, I had only one-third of the purchasing power and was very discouraged with the available choices. Late one Wednesday night, as I was locking the church to go home, a man came running into the building with a bass guitar in hand. He was a local custom bass-builder and had built this one-of-a-kind prototype instrument. When he opened the case, the woodwork and hardware were stunning . . . beautiful woods and elaborate detail. And then he said, “Whatever you were going to pay for your next bass, I’ll take that for it.” I bought it, and it’s now worth double the one I sold. That single step began a series of wonderful blessings from God on our home and finances.

This week we are going to pray and listen to hear God’s directive. We are anticipating an action step that He might speak so you and I can get our feet wet and see Him move miraculously.

Got a river to cross? Get your feet wet!

January 15th – Take A Step: Give

“Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.” Luke 6:38


Father, I come before You today to honor You with my finances. You have blessed me. I desire to see Your power manifested in my income, job, investments, and all sources of financial provision. Please show me where to give today. Put someone or something on my heart. I look forward to giving the tithe. I look forward to giving an offering. I am excited to obey You in stewardship. I am listening for my next step. And I anticipate Your blessing upon my financial life this year . . . in Jesus’ name!
(Take a moment and just listen. Ponder any impressions you may receive.)



My thoughts:
I have become so deceived in thinking that I can handle my finances, my work and my bills based on my own strength.  How easy it is for the world to enter into my thinking and tell me that I need more, deserve more and am entitled to more.  It all belongs to God.  I know that is a nice thing to say, but when you step back and think about it, it’s actually very true, for those of us who believe in Him.  He has given me the skills and knowledge I require to do my job, which in turn provides and income, which in turn buys the food, the clothing, the home, the cars, the “stuff” that we use everyday.  If I didn’t have the skills and knowledge that was designed into my DNA, I certainly should not expect to have all of the benefits mentioned above.

It’s funny, I was talking with a family member just the other night about income and entitlement. When I started my professional career (1984ish) I made $27,500/year; and thought I had hit the jackpot.  Right after Lisa and I were married (3 years later), I was given a raise to $31,400; and together we thought we had it made. Over the last 30 years, I’ve relocated my family to Florida, then Massachusetts and for the last 20 years Texas; all chasing higher wages and better jobs.  Sure, the income has gone up substantially over that 30 year period, but there is a part of me that realizes I sure seemed happier at $31k than I do today.

 I am now interviewing candidates coming out of college demanding 6 figure salaries as their starting income plus flex days, where they don’t have to come to the office or only work 3 or 4 days a week.  The attitude is as long as the project gets done why should they have to work 5 days or 40 hours a week.  This generation have decided that living a life is not about working; it actually is about living.  I’ve also noticed that many in this generation are unbelievably compassionate and supportive of the underappreciated and undervalued in our society.  These young adults spend much of their free time giving back to charities, missions, and shelters. 

I also see many of them lost in their spiritual life.  Seeking a higher purpose while in this life is the goal of many – but it’s not about religion or scripture or belief in a deity.  No, it’s about self worth, morals and values.  I have found them to be genuinely engaged in causes of suffering and justice in the world.  They are giving of themselves and using their gifts in a way that isn’t tied to income, or a 9-5 schedule or 2 hour commute.  They want income for food, shelter and electronics; but not the frivolous things in life.  Many, including myself, have been found making jokes or sarcastic remarks about the millennial generation, when honestly, they probably have it more together than any of us “aged veterans”. 

So the question is, how do we help them find Jesus Christ and use their gifts for His Kingdom?  That is a new goal of mine.

 


Be Blessed,

Rich

 

Join us on Facebook @ 10 Minute Reader Daily Thoughts or on Twitter @Sondove
If you would like to be added to the email distribution, please
send an email here.

No comments:

Post a Comment