Friday, May 17, 2019

Back in the Mitten


Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It
“Truly I tell you,” he continued, “no prophet is accepted in his hometown. Luke 4:24


Going home is such an awesome feeling for most people, especially for those of us that live a considerable distance away.  People say that absence makes a heart grow fonder, and I for one can attest to the truth of that statement.  My family is from Michigan, but in 1992 I left to chase dreams and success elsewhere.  First in Florida, than Massachusetts, and for the last 22 years in Texas.  I’ve raised my children in Texas (3 were born here), which officially makes me a Texan by assimilation, rather than native. 

I will always bleed blue though.  My home will always be Michigan, and every time I return it’s sweet to reminisce on days gone by. My little home town has changed, but not changed dramatically since I was a child, riding my bicycle on these streets.  Flying into Detroit, my instincts take over and the habit of driving home kicks in.  I don’t even think about where to turn or where the police might sit (yep, they still sit in the same spots), but rather the car seems to know the way.

I love the opportunity to visit with my friends and family, many of you reading this blog, and I can’t help but think of our Lord and His return to Nazareth.  He grew up there, ran the streets, played with the other Jewish boys, studied the art of carpentry, maybe even flirted with cute girls down the street, and chased puppies around the village.  When He began his ministry though, Nazareth became a memory.  For the next three years, He wandered from city to city and village to village, preaching, performing miracles, and sharing the love of the Father.  We hear of Him visiting Capernaum, Bethany, Canon, Jerusalem, Jericho, Bethlehem, Mount of Olives, Sea of Galilee, and Golan Heights, but never again of Nazareth.

He was able to separate His emotions and childhood memories from His purpose in this life.  Was He sad, when He thought of His mother, His brothers, His father?  Did they remain in Nazareth?  We don’t know a great amount of details on any of that from scripture, but Christ was 100% Man and 100% God at the same time.  I have to imagine He had to have moments of human emotion.  His purpose though took priority, and He went about the Father’s business.  We ought be doing the same. 

Our connections with friends and family provide joy in our lives.  We rely on the love and cherish the memories, and look forward to the future together.  But, we have a purpose from God above, which may or may not have anything to do with them.  Don’t let this world get in the way of serving God to your fullest.  Always keep in mind that it is Him we live for and His eternity we are pursuing.  It’s so good to be back in the mitten (Michigan) and with my friends and family again.  Now I ask myself what the Lord will have me do while I’m here.

 
© Sondove Enterprises, 2019
For more Daily Thoughts go to: http://sondove.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment