Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Let's go Fishin'

“Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.”  – Psalm 55:22
Times are troublesome, there is no doubt.  Many of us are struggling each day with economic pressure, relationship issues and health issues.  Every morning I wrestle in my quiet time with the day’s issues and trying to clear them from my mind to focus on what the Lord has in store for me.  There are mornings when so much is going on I have a hard time hearing God through the chaos of the daily grind.  Have you ever had so many things going on in your mind that you just can’t cut through the noise to find the quiet peace and serenity of the Holy Spirit.  My prayer time often reminds me of a 5 year old’s birthday party.  Imagine 10 to 15 children all age 4 through 6 in a small room.  Laughter, music, singing, running and playing and yes even the occasional crying fill the room.   It’s typically not an abusive noise level, but when all of these things are combined it can be very overwhelming.  But one by one, the noises begin to fade away as the party draws to a close.  Finally, the last child walks out the front door and that same little room is now unbelievably quiet. 

There will never come a day when you do not have issues in front of you that need to be resolved.  We must be able to rid our mind of the confusion, the noise and the chaos.  Focusing on God is critical in order to hear His word each day as you kneel to pray.  To cast means to hurl it away from you using force.  Picture yourself casting your problems as far away as they will go.  I’m not much of a fisherman, but I can imagine holding a fishing rod over my head, holding down the button on the reel and then casting as far as possible into a crystal clear lake.  The bait and hook sink below the surface of the water, and unless I reel it back in it has been cast away.  This is what the Lord is asking us to do with our worries, fears and concerns each day.  Start the day by giving them over to God and clearing your thoughts to hear His word. 
The things that stand between you and God will continue to create distance in your relationship.  Let’s face it, there are days when we wonder if God even hears us when we pray.  I can assure you, God does not leave your side.  He is omnipresent, where would He go that is not encompassed by being everywhere at the same time?  If there is a feeling of separation from God, it is strictly based on our movement and distractions.  God promises to take our burdens and to lift us up when we can’t go on.  Trusting in Him is a foundational element of this relationship with the Father.  Start today and verbally give your concerns to God, clear your mind of worry and then open up your heart and mind to hear the Lord.    

Prayer:
Father Almighty,
My mind is filled with the stress from work and the struggles of making ends meet this month Lord.  I give my financial concerns to You , I give my time concerns to You and look for Your support at work to help solve the problems I am facing.  Lord, I cast my struggles upon Your promise and I calm my spirit to hear Your word this morning.  Bless me with Your wisdom and peace as I take on the challenges of the day.  In Your name we pray – Amen


http://www.10minutereader.com
©Sondove Enterprises, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment