Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fear no Evil



Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” - Psalm 23:4

 
I’ve always found comfort, picturing the Savior as a shepherd with a small lamb flung over His shoulders walking up a hill.  The simple truth of knowing that He is there as my protector, my guide and my provider puts at ease the pressures of dealing with everyday problems in life.  Think about that for a moment.  A sheep has very limited defenses against the wolves, bears and lions of the wilderness.  They are slow and lack any true abilities to fend off an attack in the open wilderness.  The shepherd was their protector, and King David (author of the 23rd Psalm) had great experience as such.  With a watchful eye, he would fend off the invasion of any enemy on the prowl, ready to strike at any time in a possessive, loving manner.

What is your reaction when the path in life goes through a valley?  Perhaps the death of a loved one, a lost job, a divorce or fighting an addiction has cast a shadow over your horizon.  It is easy to fall prey to the evil one when we are in the valley’s of our own life, and yes there are valley’s even though you are walking in God’s path of righteousness.  We need only to look at the life of Job as an example of a man that was following God’s path of righteousness to every detail.  Yet, he became the center of a battle between God and Satan, good and evil.   Did Job ever fear the evil that encroached upon his life?  He lost his children, his wealth and his health to the very edge of dying, yet never lost hope or faith that God was with him.

Life will have valleys.  You need to be resound in your faith and strong in your walk with the Lord to know that He will never leave you.  “
Satan is alive and well on planet earth” was a book from the 1970’s written by Hal Lindsay, which clearly outlines the battle of God and Satan over the lives of mankind.  Satan is not a fable, he is very real and very jealous.  He wants control over the lives of man in order to spite our Lord, and in order to overthrow God’s will of righteousness, love and mercy.  It is a battle as old as time and will continue right up until the end of days.  You will face temptations, trials, disappointments and strife in your life all at the hands of the devil himself. 

The Lord reminds us countless times throughout the Old and New Testament that He will not leave our side.  We are mighty warriors of the one and only God of the Universe and we will overcome the evil one in life and in death.  Lean upon God’s righteousness and the Holy Spirit for strength in times of weakness.  David writes of the “rod and the staff”, we likewise find comfort in our Lord’s rod and staff.  The rod of the shepherd was used to keep the sheep in line and to hook them if they were to wander off.  The staff of the shepherd was used as a club to defend against the enemies of the wild.  The Lord has provided tools for you as well, we have the Holy Spirit within each of us as a rod to keep us in line when the temptations arise.  The Lord has provided His Word as a mighty sword to fend off any enemy.  The more you are in it, the stronger you become to use it in times of need.  Here are just a few scriptures to give you confidence in knowing that the Lord is with you always, even in the valley’s of life.

Psalm 18:2
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:32
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.
Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 121:1-2
I lift my eyes unto the hills, where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
Isaiah 40:29
He gives power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increases strength
Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.
2 Corinth. 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me

Let these verses bring you comfort when you are struggling to find your way in the valleys of despair.  The Lord is our fortress and our comforter, in Him you can find peace.

PRAYER:
Almighty Father,
We call upon your promises Lord.  Your promise to watch over us, keep us safe from the evil one and to give us the strength in the times of battle when we need it. Your Word is our sword and we will use it to defend Your honor and bring You glory.  You have provided for us in all of our needs and given us the grace to allow for us to seek righteousness in You.  Holy Spirit dwell within us and keep us in line with God’s plan for our life.  As shadows are cast across our path, protect us and give us wisdom to overcome the fear in our hearts.  We seek Your truth in all that we do. Amen
 

             
© Sondove Enterprises, 2013
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://sondove.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment