Friday, June 10, 2016


A Perspective on DeathRichard Palmer

 


Why do we automatically believe someone has gone to heaven when they die?

 Are we of the belief that everyone who does good here on earth is automatically granted access to eternal peace with God the Father?

Boldly, someone will live their life denying the deity of Jesus Christ, yet in our desire for comfort and peace, we convince ourselves that because they did good things that God will accept them anyway.

That is completely against what the Bible teaches.  Don’t get me wrong, I mourn and am saddened when we lose those superstars or loved ones; just as the rest of you are.  In this mourning I often find myself saddened and uncertain about their eternal life rather than believe that they have automatically passed into heaven.

I believe that an individual must have accepted Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord in order to enter into eternal peace with God Almighty.  Those who profess that Jesus is a prophet of Allah and not the Son of God have denied the very root of my belief.  I am saddened not just by their death from this life, but from the choices they have made about their eternal life.

I know this is strictly based on my beliefs as a Christian, and many will argue and say that I am close minded and unfit to judge someone’s eternal well-being.  You are correct, I am close minded with a belief that is rooted in the Bible, the Holy Word of God Almighty.  You are also correct in that I am not in any position to judge someone’s eternal destiny, but based on the scriptures, John 3:36, Jesus tells us; “He that believeth on the Son will have everlasting life, and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”

So, to claim I am a Christian means that I will follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and repent for those things I do that are against His teachings.  You see we are all sinners.  Every day, hundreds of times a day, we are living outside of Jesus will.  But, based on the faith and commitment that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Lord of Lords, we are given the opportunity to repent of our sins and thereby be forgiven.  By the grace of God’s love, we can know that we are forgiven.  Because Jesus Christ atoned for our sins on that cross, and in rising from the grave, overcame death and now sits by the Father’s right hand as our advocate and redemption. 

Our good works on this earth are a result of our faith and belief in Jesus Christ, not in an attempt to earn His love and forgiveness.  There are no amount of good works that we can do in this lifetime to offset the sins we have committed against the Father.  Jesus Christ’ death and resurrection was the price paid for our salvation, and without it we are destined to eternal life separated from God in His perfect heaven.

It is certainly appropriate to celebrate the good things a person has done in their life to help fellow mankind.  I, like you, am grateful for the goodness that comes from their works in this life, but I still mourn for their death when I know they believe something other than the truth from the scriptures.  Our society has tried to create a comfortable view of eternity that is not scripture based.  A view where God loves everybody and therefore He would never condemn someone to eternal Hell.  This is not scripture based at all.  The first part is true.  God loves everybody exactly the same.  You, me, our families, our friends and enemies.  But, His requirement for redemption to enter into eternal peace cannot be altered to accommodate our desires.  He has given you and I complete free will to choose our path.  That path is to accept Jesus Christ and to abide in His plan of salvation or not to.  It’s truly that simple.  We complicate it and try to bend the rules so everyone can fit into the plan, but based on the scriptures, that is not how it will work.

I pray that you will get right with God’s plan for salvation.  My Christian belief is built on a narrow path, and does not accept a belief in Muhammed, Buddha, Ghandi, Goddess Earth or good works to get into heaven.  It is in my love for you that I am sharing my faith in this manner, not to condemn you or criticize you or ridicule your beliefs.  I would be remiss though if I did not at least come forward with my faith so that you might have the opportunity to reconsider yours.
Please read the 3rd book of John and seriously contemplate where you stand in relationship to what it says.  Be blessed in your journey my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment