Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Becoming a Fisherman




Click Here: Read Luke 5

“When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”  Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break.” … “When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” … “Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.” – Luke 5:4-6; 8, 10



Initial Thoughts:
In the gospel of Luke, Chapter 5, we see Jesus beginning His ministry by calling upon others to follow Him.  First, was Simon Peter, then Andrew and then James and John.  He called them to become fishers of men.  The wonderful story found in this gospel allows us to see that through God all things are possible.  Peter had been fishing all night without a catch.  Jesus asks him to go out again.  Reluctantly Peter agrees, and by being obedient and following Christ’s instructions, Peter’s nets are filled to point of overflowing.  Why then, do we struggle so much to simply do what Christ asks us to do?  Christ was born in a humble stable and preached humility though-out His ministry on earth.  Be humble and follow Him, for He is the Good Shepherd.

Application:
Who introduced you to the gospel of Jesus Christ? Have you ever sat down and thought about how you actually came to the very place you are today in your walk with God? I'm sure it is filled with peaks and valleys and joy and sorrow. There was fire at the start and perhaps only embers today or perhaps someone has stoked your fire and you are once again living out the dream that was once planted in your mind by someone. Think back for a moment about that very first time someone told you who Jesus Christ was.

Most of you would say that it was your mother, father or grandparent. Some might say it was a friend's parent, or a teacher (back when they could talk about God in school). Do you picture the person's face? Now I want you to think about your initial reaction. Can you visualize the event and your initial reaction? I've tried for years to picture what it must have been like for Peter to look up and see this man telling him to "follow me". I imagine Peter to be a bit of a roughneck. A stout man, full beard, large arms, and square jaw. Certainly not a sissy, but by today's definition a man's man. Then you have Jesus, a loving, passionate, and peaceful man telling Peter what to do. I gotta jump to the conclusion that there was some divine intervention going on here, for the next scripture tells us that "At once they left their nets and followed him."

Were you so quick to follow Jesus? Neither was I. Although I don't remember not knowing who Jesus was. As far back as I can recall my parents were taking me to church - First Baptist Church of Tecumseh; where we would sit in Sunday school with Mrs. Sebring or Mrs. Puffer and learn the books of the bible. I knew Jesus as the guy hanging on the cross in the sanctuary, but I didn't know Jesus until I was twelve. As a teenager, I knew the Lord and found my way to a deeper respect and understanding of who Jesus was and why He died. But, I must say even to this day I'm just learning how to be a fisherman for Christ as He asks us to be.

How 'bout you? Are you a fisherman for the Lord and sharing His good news with those around you? Are you following His lead and learning to become a fisherman(woman)? Think about this, and make a plan on what you are going to do to change. When we were called by God, regardless of who or how it happened, you said: "Yes, Lord - I'll follow you." Don't you think it's about time you start?




© Sondove Enterprises, 2018
For more Daily Thoughts go to: http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment