Thursday, September 5, 2019

A glass of Coke can change the world

Daily Thoughts - September 5th 


A glass of Coke can change the world.

Let me share a personal story if you don't mind.

Picture the scene: Several high school kids go to the Christmas dance at the local Tecumseh High School.  Some were Seniors, some Juniors and a few Freshman.  All dressed in their best to impress.  In those days leisure suits and lace/twill dresses were in style.  At the completion of the dance in the high school gymnasium, this group of friends and girlfriends decide to go to the local Big Boy for a late night snack (fries, Cokes and Shakes).  God in His miraculous ways, used this event to impact a young man’s and a young woman’s life, and set in motion His plan to change the world for many years to come.  


At the table we crammed 6 of us into a booth, each sitting across from our respective Christmas date.  I was fortunate enough to be sitting at the outer edge of the bench seat.  I took the opportunity to demonstrate my sweetness and ability to flirt with the girls at the table, by grabbing a few candy canes from the Christmas tree in the restaurant, and handing them out.  As I returned to my seat I slid in next to a cute girl, and in doing so bumped her hip with mine as she was picking up her glass of Coke.  This resulted in the Coke splashing from the glass all over the left leg of my baby blue leisure suit, with quite a stain.  Apologies ensued, and were dismissed with laughter and a twinkle in the eye as we looked at each other.

Fast forward three years, I was a sophomore at Eastern Michigan, and had recently separated from my longtime girlfriend, because of the long distance in our college choices.  My best friend (still today), Paul came by to pick me up, knowing that I was in a depressed funk of late, just to get me out of the house.  With no plan in mind, we cruise through town a few times, listening to our favorite CCR cassette, before we pulled in front of a home I was unfamiliar with.  As we knock on the door and step into the home, my mind immediately flashed back to that Christmas dance.  Standing before me, for a matter of 15 seconds before she ran down the hallway, was that same cute girl from the Big Boy restaurant.  Emerging some 10 minutes later with her best friend (Chris Harris), we stumbled through a reintroduction.  A beautiful girl, with freshly permed hair and braces stood before me, with an incredible, flirtatious smile.  We decided to head out together, the four of us in Paul’s car, to the softball fields.  We all took turns hitting the softball as far as we could, and then decided to go to the water-slide and lake to cool off.  By the end of the evening, this beautiful woman and I were hand in hand, and had experienced our very first of many kisses.

That was the end of July, 1985 - 12,448 days ago, and we’ve held hands everyday since.  We were married 26 months later, 32 years ago today.  The Lord has blessed us with 5 incredible children that are becoming change agents for God, and raising their own children to become change agents for God. I am in awe and overwhelmed to look back and see God’s plan to use a spilled glass of Coke, and then through event after event, kept our paths intersecting over three years, and reconnecting us through our best friends, just so He could use our relationship to strengthen His kingdom through our children.  People ask me to explain to them why I believe God is real, and I can’t point to physical evidence.  But, I can point to this example as just one way He has been real in my life to ensure that His kingdom is strengthened. 


Not because of me, but because of Him, all of these factors fell into place.  I have been blessed to be with this woman for 32 years, and have so much more to look forward to in the next 30-40 or 50 years together.  She is my rock, my advisor, my counsel, my lover, my wife, my spiritual conscious, and my best friend.  We will grow old together and watch how God chooses to use our children and grand-children, and God willing great grand-children influence others in this world.  I can tell you without hesitation that next to God, the Father, I love Lisa most

Happy Anniversary my dear.  I am so proud to be your husband.  You can spill a Coke on my suit anytime you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment