Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I AM WHO I AM

Read It, Learn It, Live it, Share It
“God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM' has sent me to you." – Exodus 3:4

Cassius Clay was not a humble man.  As a matter of fact, to this day he is quite boastful and filled with pride and arrogance.  It was a necessity in his line of work.  In life he became world renown for his rope-a-dope and his fancy footwork.  He fought hard to win his place in the hearts and minds of people all over the world through the sport of boxing.  You might know him more formally as Muhammad Ali, arguably the best boxer of all time.  He actually published a book and an audio recording titled, I Am the Greatest, in which he proclaimed himself to be the greatest boxer in history.  In his career he won 56 times, and only lost 5; the last time in 1981.  He is now 70 years old and doesn’t quite “float like a butterfly or sting like a bee” (a famous quote from his boxing days), but his record has stood the test of time, even though he has slowed in his maturity.  He still boasts of his past, and still holds true to his words, I Am the Greatest.  Is he?  It’s certainly debatable, and many could argue soundly on both sides, but the truth remains – it’s only boxing. 

One man stood in a courtyard, beaten and bloodied one day many years ago.  He stood amongst a crowd of enemies and was spit upon and ridiculed.  He was posed this question from his accusers; “Are you the King of the Jews?” to which Jesus replied, “Yes, it is as you say.” (Mark 15:2   They charged him with blasphemy and after flogging him mercilessly, they led him off to be crucified.  Unable to accept that the Messiah walked amongst them, they feared his presence in their midst.  He wasn’t a rebel like the others who had come before him, in the sense that the others had wanted to overthrow the government by violent means.  He came in peace, love and the word of God was constantly upon his lips.  They were unable to find any unrighteousness in his actions, so why were they blind and afraid of this man?  He spoke the truth, that is why.  He saw into the hearts and minds of the leaders in that day and called them out for their iniquities.  He challenged them to clean their own soul before they tried to “save” and lead others to Jehovah.

Jesus claimed the following:
- "I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever;"
- "You are from beneath; I AM from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.”
- "I AM the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."
- "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."
- "I AM the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."
- "I AM the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep”
- "do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?
- "I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.”
- "I AM the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
- "I AM the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.”
- 'He said, "I am the King of the Jews."'
- "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads."

Having made all of these claims during his life, we are led to believe that: a) he was delusional, b) he was a liar or c) he was telling the truth.  If a) then he would have been banished to a remote area of Israel to live amongst others who were likewise delusional or crazed.  If b) then his legend would have died with him, for who would have continued telling the lie to the point of their own death after he was crucified.  If c) then we each need to take a stand for his truth and follow his examples, his teaching and commandments.  Jesus, self proclaimed in truth, his divinity.  He was challenged by the Pharisees, the Priests, the people on the street, the Rulers and even his disciples.  Yet, through his actions, his love, his death and resurrection he consistently demonstrated the truth in his claims. 

Each of us must decide which of these we believe.  I wholeheartedly, without a doubt, believe option C.  Jesus Christ, is the Son of God, and my Savior and Lord.  What do you believe?       

 
© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For additional Daily Thoughts, please visit:
http://www.10minutereader.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment