Friday, October 6, 2017

Define the Trinity in your own words.


Deuteronomy 6:4 – “Hear, O Israel: The LORD thy God is one LORD.”


This week I gave my kids an assignment “Using only the scriptures; no google search, no cheating, no copying, explain the Trinity.”  The reality is that it is never directly referenced in the scriptures, and it is one of the most difficult things to comprehend in a worldly understanding.  The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit independently are easy to understand and wrap our head around, but when we look at them as a single triune God it gets a little uncomfortable for most. 

The Trinity is a fundamental foundational point in our Christian belief system, and it only exists in the Christian belief system.  Other religious beliefs may recognize Jesus, recognize God the Father and recognize the Holy Spirit, but none make the attempt to claim they are one.  Many from other faiths will challenge the Christian faith on this very topic.  If we are unable to explain it in a manner that helps them understand, it can quickly be deduced that it’s a man-made fallacy and therefore crippling the entire Christian belief system.

So, as we share time together, let us examine this topic amongst us as friends and fellow believers.  In it’s most general sense the Trinity is best expressed in the human form of 3 personas in one being.  Take me for example:  I am a person, a male human; I am a son of two loving parents; and I am a brother to two totally awesome siblings.  I had no control over any of these personas in my life, yet each of them are factual just by the very nature of my existence.  Three personas in one being.  This example is simple for a human to wrap their head around, but in this simplified description it pales to touch on the reality of the Triune Godhead.

So, similar to what I’ve asked my daughters to contribute this week – how do you define the Trinity, using only scriptures, not the WWW search engine of choice.  In the comment section below, leave your thoughts, your ideas, your questions and your hypothesis.  We are all in this Christian walk together and we need to learn to help each other grow in our respective faith, through loving advice and counsel.  I am choosing to hold off on posting my position on this question, because I want to hear from you.  I will post my response in a few days, and trust me I do have an opinion now, after being unable to address this question in a dialogue with another a few months back.

Following this question realize that additional question’s will arise.  Can the God die?  Does God cry?  Does God feel pain?  Can God be tempted?  Think about these questions as you contemplate your thoughts on defining the Trinity.  I love you all and look forward to your thoughts.

Be Blessed,

Rich

2 comments:

  1. The Father is God, the Son is Jesus the human that walked the earth as a human, and the Holy Spirit is what lives within you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good perspective, thanks for contributing. Do you think you can find scripture verses to back these statements?

      Delete