Thursday, January 24, 2019

A Man of Courage



 “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus.” – Acts 4:13




On Monday, in  America and many other parts of the world, we stopped to honor Martin Luther King Jr.  His legacy has been recorded as standing up for the civil rights and equality among all men and women regardless of race, color, religion or sex.  An impassioned man with a cause to improve the lives of the impoverished and disenfranchised through means of non-violent measures and activism, rather than violence has set him apart from many leaders in history.  Whether you agree with his principles, his religious views, his activities or his anti-war beliefs you cannot question that this was a man who knew from an early age that he was able to make a difference and pursued it with enormous courage.  He was assassinated on April 4, 1968 in Memphis, Tennessee.  From his “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop” speech the night before he concluded with this quote:



“And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord” – M.L.K. Jr


Most remember his “I Have a Dream” speech from Washington, but I have been drawn to his Mountaintop speech because it paints a picture of serving God and fully trusting that God has a plan for those who are willing to step out of their normal life and into His will.  I look at those in history that have stood courageous for the Lord and ask myself why.  Peter and John were fishermen, very common men by all perspectives in the day of our Lord.  We read of Peter’s wife, but have no record whether John was married or not. 

When called by the Lord, they gave up their lives, security and followed Him.  They are no different than you or I in that they had commitments, they had bills, they needed food, clothing, shelter and to provide for their families.  Yet, somewhere in their heart they knew that serving God was a bigger calling and their faith extended beyond what was apparent and visible.  We feel the pull to do more, we feel the urge to do something to help others and improve the lives of those who are misfortune.  Then we get into our car and drive to the mall or to the theater or Starbucks. 

I’m guilty of this every day.  I get up, put on my best business attire, step out the door kissing my wife and children good bye.  I spend the day in a beautiful office building working on very real problems in the world of technology and corporate growth.  All the while asking myself what am I doing for the least of these?  What did I do to leave a legacy for my children to aspire too?  How did I change the world for all of our children?

What if Martin Luther King Jr. had not taken an interest, at the age of 18, to step out against injustice and for equality, building his entire platform on the love of God?  Where would this world be if this man of courage had simply chosen to live as his forefathers and their forefathers had lived? 

It takes courage to change the world, and I am asking each of you reading this today – where is your courage?  The issues we face today will not solve themselves, we must stand up for God’s love to become pervasive throughout the world.



© Sondove Enterprises, 2019
For more Daily Thoughts go to: http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment