Friday, January 11, 2019

Whom Do You Call On?




“Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him.   Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.   The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”   He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.”  – Matthew 8:23-25

 

If you’re reading this it is most likely that you have an understanding of who Jesus Christ is.  But, on the chance that you do not, indulge me a minute to share with you.  Jesus Christ was born to a virgin, having been conceived by the Holy Spirit within Mary.  He lived as the son of a Jewish carpenter, Joseph, in the city of Nazareth, in Galilee.  At the age of 30 (or so) this man Jesus of Nazareth went into the temple and declared that an ancient prophesy (Isaiah 57) was fulfilled in him.  This prophecy in Isaiah claimed “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, Because he anointed me to preach good tidings to the poor: He hath sent me to proclaim release to the captives, And recovering of sight to the blind, To set at liberty them that are bruised, To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”  In doing so, he declared to be of God.  Jesus spent the next 3 years of his life traveling across Israel, preaching, teaching, performing miracles including raising people from the dead, and challenging the Jewish authority of that time, as hypocrites.  Jesus lived a life that was free from sin, filled with righteousness and the spirit of the Lord. 

At the age of 33 Jesus was condemned to death by crucifixion, for his actions had offended the religious leaders of the day and posed a challenge to their control.  Jesus Christ died on a hill outside of Jerusalem, hanging on a cross.  His body was taken from the cross and buried in a tomb, and watched night and day by Roman guards.  On the third day, after his death and burial, Jesus rose from the grave, resurrected in the spirit to the amazement of His followers and the Jewish leaders.  Jesus then appeared to many in the days that followed, before He ascended to be seated at the right hand of God in the heavens, where He will one day judge the righteous and the unrighteous to determine their eternal resting place – Heaven with God the Father, or Hell, eternally separated from God the Father.  As prophesied in Revelations, Jesus will return one day to take His church home to be with God.  As a Christian, we look to the skies and wait for that day to come.

Now.  Many of you know these details.  You believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, because you have read the scriptures, and trust that what it tells you is the truth.  Some of you have seen Him (in a vision), felt His touch of healing, or heard His voice calling on you, but that is the minority.  Most of you reading this rely on your faith that He is who He says He is – Jesus Christ, the Son of the Most High God, your Savior and Lord.  Strong is the faith required to stand for something that is not evidenced in our physical world.  It is this faith that you all must hold onto, for the battle is just beginning and an unwavering faith will be required.

If you, like me, have a faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and our salvation; then why do we lack faith to call upon God for bigger things, more of His presence, and a deeper understanding?  We are barely scratching the surface of the bountiful love and abundance the Lord has in store for us.  Not to minimize your faith, but my friend, God is so much bigger and His blessings for you are so much greater than you are experiencing.  Do not limit His involvement in your life, but allow Him to fully engage in your life and fulfill His purpose through you.  Do not hold back, do not self-impose limitations on what God can do in your life, for He is omnipotent and every present with you. 

We read above in Matthew that Christ calmed the winds, then looked to the disciples – “You of little faith…”  I, for one, want a deeper faith in God’s almighty power.  I want a faith, where nothing can shake it, and I can stand in confidence before any trial or tribulation, knowing that my God is bigger.  I am weak, because I rely too much on myself, and those around me; and less on my Creator.  My resolution for 2019 is to deepen my faith in Him, beyond a salvation faith, but a faith for all things in my life.   



Prayer:
Heavenly Father,
You have promised in your word to pour out your blessing upon those who hear your voice.  I claim that my God, for I hear your voice in the quiet whisper of the morning wind, the crackling of the fire in the evening.  I hear your voice in the depths of my mind and soul and I know you are calling me to greater things.  I have faith Lord that you, who have called me, will see me through that calling.  In you alone will I trust for my daily walk.
– Amen



© Sondove Enterprises, 2019
For more Daily Thoughts go to: http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment