Monday, January 2, 2012

God is Love (1 of 6)

“The LORD detests the way of the wicked, but he loves those who pursue righteousness.”  - Proverbs 15:9

Time and time again I have heard the question “Who is God?” come up in conversation or debate.  There have been numerous doctoral theses written about the character of God, the spirit of God, the essence of God or the presence of God.  For this first week of the year 2012 I want to focus strictly on who God is to me – Love.

As a husband, father and grandfather I have personally experienced this emotion called love with enormous depth and intimacy in my life.  I cannot put into words the feelings I have for my wife of nearly 25 years, or for any of my 5 children or 2 grand-children.  There are times I sit and stare, just to take it all in and realize how unbelievably blessed I am to be given such a wonderful gift from the Lord, just to be a part of their lives for one more day.  I watch with incredible pride when I observe them spontaneously doing something kind and generous for another or when I see them demonstrate love to one another or a friend.  All too often I see them demonstrating love to others and helping others without provocation or expectation of a reward – just because it’s the right thing to do.  Where does this benchmark of right and wrong come from?  How do they learn what is good vs. what is evil in this world?

It’s easy to look at my children and grand-children and say they learn right and wrong from Lisa and I, but it is so much more complicated than that.  There is a legacy of right doing that has a foundation in the very essence of the One who created all mankind to begin with.  Every generation must decide to what extent they will base their teaching of the future generations on the biblical principles or man’s principles for righteousness.  But even then, we must ask the question; “Can mankind have a concept of good and evil (right and wrong) if it were not first established at some point in time?” 

     Who has deemed that murdering someone is evil?
     When did mankind first determine that stealing from another person is wrong?
     Why is love good and hatred bad?
     What happens when you intentionally hurt another individual (physically or emotionally)?

You see, if you seek the ultimate foundation for the truth to basic questions like these, there must be a benchmark of righteousness that was established for mankind to follow.  The alternative is that at some point in time these boundaries and guidelines were established by an individual just like you.  Therefore, we would simply be continuing to propagate that person’s rules of right and wrong/good and evil.  If this indeed is the case, than who says they were right, and who gave them the authority to establish these rules.  I propose that there is a supreme authority in God the Father, who created a foundation of right and wrong in His scriptures.  He gave us the Holy Spirit to counsel us and convict us when we are outside of this basis of righteousness.

In God’s eyes every man and woman are equal.  There is no greater portion of love given to one over another based on who the person is, but rather whether the person is within the boundaries of His established rules.  Proverbs tells us that God detests the way of wickedness (evil, unrighteousness).  God does not detest the individual, only the action.  The person is given the boundaries and choice to live and act within these boundaries or outside of these boundaries. 

God’s love, mercy and grace fall upon those within these boundaries because they are pursuing His righteousness.  By choice, some are walking away from God’s love by living outside of these boundaries and then questioning His very existence.  Walk with righteousness, in the full glory of the Lord’s love and be filled with His presence, purpose and these questions become blatantly clear.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father,

You have established the foundation of right and wrong for all of mankind.  You have given us the scriptures as our guideline and the Holy Spirit as our counselor for righteousness.  As a society we have strayed from Your laws and purpose in loving others.  Forgive us Lord.  Work within me to be a light to others that they might see Your truth and righteousness.  Help me to hold myself accountable to Your baseline and to live within Your boundaries that I might experience Your love to the fullest.  Use me Lord as You see fit to bring You glory in all ways.  In Your name I pray, Amen.

© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For additional Daily Thoughts, visit: http://www.10minutereader.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment