Saturday, January 14, 2012

What Say You

“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.” – John 11:27

I was five years old and I remember Ms. Sebring teaching me about the books of the bible.  We spent 45 minutes each Sunday at church memorizing the order from Genesis to Revelations.  On the wall was a picture of Noah’s Ark, David and Goliath and a large framed picture of Jesus Christ.

Like most of the kids in the Sunday school class I loved singing the songs Jesus Loved Me and This Little Light of Mine and hearing the Bible stories of His birth, life, death and resurrection.  I couldn’t grasp the fullness of His grace and understand what it all meant, but I knew at an early age that there was something special about Him. 

I was taught early on to respect the heroes of history for the freedoms we have, and not to take it for granted.  History is filled with men and women who gave everything and sacrificed much so I could have the freedom in my life today.  I heard stories of my American forefathers who fought gallantly and courageously for the liberties and opportunities to become who ever I wanted to be.  Unlike the legacies of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King and the other American leaders I learned about as a boy, I found myself continuously drawn to the man God sent to provide a way for me to get to heaven.

There was no revelation and miraculous scales falling from my eyes to see Him as my Savior.  At a later point in my life, around 12 years old, I knew without a doubt the Jesus Christ was the Messiah, He died for my sins and was raised again from the grave as my Savior – to allow me acceptance into eternity with Him in heaven one day.  For the last 35 years I have been continually maturing as a believer and follower of Jesus Christ.  Every day, I am amazed at how much more I learn about His love for me and how He can use my servant’s heart to help others. 

It’s no longer just about believing in Him in order to get to heaven and avoid Hell, it’s now so much more about serving others and helping spread His love to others.  Having discovered the depth of His loving grace for mankind I am continually in awe of how much Jesus Christ’s sacrifice meant.   Ten’s if not 100 billion people have been born and have died in the last 2000 years.  His life, death and resurrection was intended to bring every one of these people to heaven.  My heart is broken realizing that the majority of these people have not accepted Jesus Christ and as a result will not enter into His peace in eternity.  There are 6.5 billion people on the earth today, and I want nothing more than to help as many of them as possible discover the love, grace and mercy that I enjoy. 

That’s my story – that’s who I am and that’s what I believe.  So do you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Savior of the world?  If so, what are you doing with this knowledge? 

© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For additional Daily Thoughts, please visit:
http://www.10minutereader.com

1 comment: