Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What if He Meant It?

Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It
“Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” – John 14:6

I was 18 years old, a Senior in High School, and unteachable.  It was a Saturday afternoon and my parents were working, as I sat in the living room looking out the window as the rain continued to pour down.  It had been one of the coldest winters I remembered as a child, so the rain was actually welcome as long as it the temperature stayed warm.  Spring had officially begun and I was counting the days to Spring Break, Prom and then Graduation.  My ’73 Buick Lesabre was in the repair shop, so I was stranded unless I wanted to walk to my friends place. 

I recall the moment the rain stopped, because this was the moment the temptation set in.  As the sun broke through the clouds and the skies actually started to clear, a newness fell upon my eyes as I looked out the front window.  I’m not sure why I hadn’t thought of it earlier, but at this moment it seemed completely logical.  I walked to the kitchen, rummaged through the drawers and found what I was looking for.  I grabbed my coat and threw on my favorite baseball cap and stepped out into the sunshine.  As I looked around, I saw no witnesses, glancing at my watch I realized I had a few hours before my parents would be home, so the decision was quite simple.  I put the key in the opening and unlocked the driver door of my brothers 1969 Camaro SS that sat quietly in the driveway of my parents home. 

Steve was away at college and his car had sat idly in the driveway for months untouched per his distinct instructions that “No-one was to drive his car while he was gone.”  How would he know, I’d be gone and back before my parents ever knew and I’d park it right back where it was.  Just a little tour around the city, maybe stop by Paul’s and we could cruise Main Street for a little while.  As I started the engine, it was hypnotic and addicting.  A 350hp, 8 cylinder, American muscle car in unbelievable condition.  I eased it into reverse and backed out of the driveway.  I had only driven his car a few times in the past with his approval and him in the passenger seat.  This time was different.  I had control of an amazing vehicle without anyone telling me to slow down or be careful. 

I drove away in my brother’s car and slowly tooled around the neighborhood, then opened it up when I got onto the main road.  Unbelievable power under the hood and all of a sudden my boring, raining day had become exciting.  I turned into a subdivision to make my way back to Paul’s house, and as I came around a corner I failed to see the standing water that covered the road.  I hit the 6” deep pool of water doing 35 mph as water sprayed up on both sides of the car.  Then the car died in the middle of the road as the water came back and settled around the wheels.  Despite my numerous attempts to restart the car it wasn’t turning over.  Then the thoughts of regret came crashing in.  What would my parents say, what would Steve say when he found out, how would I talk my way out of this one, what if I had damaged something beyond repair, how could I be so stupid?  Just as I stepped out of the car into the small lake in the middle of the road, a wonderful man from our church walked up on the situation.  It just so happens that the car broke down right in front of his home, and he knew a lot about the American classic cars.  Within 15 minutes he had taken a few things off the engine, dried it all up and put it back together.  The engine started right up, purred in perfection and my mind was put at ease.  With a heartfelt thank you, I was back on the road again and headed straight back to the house, putting Steve’s car right back where it rightfully belonged. 

It is a simple example of decisions we make in life for the temporary pleasure without consideration for the long term impact that may result.  Jesus Christ walked this earth and gave us examples of how to love one another, serve God and live righteously.  By his life we were given the instructions we need to make a difference in this world and build up the Kingdom of God.  The scriptures are filled with God’s expectations, examples of His grace, love and mercy; yet we still struggle accepting it as truth and direction in our life.  We chose the parts we like and ignore the parts that interfere with our comfort or lifestyle.  It isn’t a menu at a fast food restaurant, and the sooner we figure out that Jesus meant what He said, the better off our society becomes.  Over the next week or so I will be discussing the Sermon on the Mount and hopefully will shed some light on what is expected of those who profess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.  Please join me and share it with your friends as we take this journey together.

Prayer:
Father,
I am a sinner, kneeling before You with a heart filled with shame and broken dreams.  I am sorry for the choices I have made in life that have drawn me farther from You, Lord.  I know Your desire is to work through me and change the world one person at a time and I long to participate in Your plan without abandon.  Free my mind Lord from the distractions of this world that separate my plans from Yours.  Help me to fully grasp the reality of Your truth and live within Your will.  In Your name I pray – Amen.
© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For additional Daily Thoughts, please visit:
http://www.10minutereader.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment