Monday, April 30, 2012

Bible Study – James (day 6)

Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It
“Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” –James 1:16-17
In any given day, a person might be fortunate to find me in a state of loving kindness, generosity and patient in all things.  This state of being is a daily goal of mine and I often lift up these words in my morning prayers that the Lord would be kind and strengthen these characteristics in me each day.  The problem comes from the fact that this is not who I am most of the time and it is something I must work for each day.  I often find myself worrying about life, about the problems that I face each day and the struggles that our family might be going through at any given moment.  I’ve allowed myself to become consumed at times, with my own internal perspective and self-pity that I have failed to see the needs of my brother and sister, and ignored my ability to help them as the Lord would have me do.  There are times where my own arrogance and self righteousness will play on my mind and convince me that I am responsible for the things I have been blessed with.  As I look around and observe my possessions and my family, I find it easy to boast about the things I have done to achieve all of this.  Perhaps you find yourself in this position now and then.  Well, let us step back and realize together the error of our thinking and the cause of this self centeredness.

At my work there are a group of engineers whose job it is to “root cause” problems that our customers are having with our computer systems.  There are hundreds of things that can go wrong with a computer at any given time, and troubleshooting the problem to the root cause is essential to ensure that they are solving the real issue and not just a symptom of the problem.  Often times, there is a belief that the problem is caused because of this or because of that, only to discover that indeed there is a deeper reason for that symptom as well.  These individuals are extremely good at cascading through the problem scenarios and getting to root cause successfully in almost every circumstance.  But, every now and then there is a problem that leaves them with more questions than answers.  As they work through the problems symptoms, the problem goes away, but might return later under a different set of circumstances.  These shifting problems are near impossible to root cause, because they are so intermittent.

If we investigate the root cause of our feelings, our thinking and our actions, often times we will discover that underneath all unrighteousness is the symptom of selfishness or pride or personal gratification.  James tells us clearly that everything we have been blessed with has come from the Lord.  I emphasize everything, because you could look at anything you have obtained and trace the path of achievement all the way back to something God has provided for you.  Your intelligence, your physical abilities, your personality, your love or your patience are often times at the root of anything you have achieved in life.  This achievement in life has given you the ability to create a lifestyle that is demonstrative of success and blessings.  Unlike the symptoms that cause unrighteousness, the root cause for righteousness and love are never changing.

God is immutable, never changing.  He loves humanity today exactly that way He loved Abraham and Sarah, Moses, David, Solomon, Isaiah, Nehemiah, Job, John the Baptist, Jesus, Peter, Paul, John, Mark and so on and so on.  His love is consistent.  His grace is never ending and available to all of us.  His intent in our lives has never changed.  There is nothing you can do that will separate you from His love for you.  Again, I say there is nothing.  As unrighteous as you are feeling, and regardless of the sinful act that you feel guilty about, they are all covered by the blood of Jesus Christ.  God makes no exception to His rules and is not going to look the other way on your sinful acts, while holding the other 6.3 billion people on earth accountable.  He will not change His requirements for eternity and heaven.  That requirement is perfection and you can’t achieve it.

But, by the grace of the Lord, He has provided a way and that is through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.  Who, by his life, death and resurrection has created redemption for our sins and a way for us to stand before the Lord perfect and worthy of heaven.  Without the intercession of Jesus Christ on our behalf, we stand before the Lord alone, destined for eternal separation from our Creator.  Overcome your self-centeredness and accept the unchanging salvation that is available to you through Jesus Christ.

ACTION: God is never changing.  His will is consistent and His grace is available to all mankind.  Do a spiritual inventory today.  Analyze where you are in your walk with Christ.  Are you representing the love, patience, kindness and humility that He created you for?  If not, think through the underlying root cause of your problems, your attitude, and your personality to understand what is at the heart of your actions that separate you from Christ’s work.  This takes an honest approach and evaluation, but will bring to the surface the very things you need to work on to better serve in the manner the Lord has created you for.     

© Sondove Enterprises, 2012

For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment