Tuesday, June 26, 2012

He’s Got Your Back



Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It with your friends

“‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.”    – Leviticus 19:18


   
I entered into the business opportunity not on the merit of the person setting across the table from me, for I knew I could not trust him, but on the understanding that God would defend me if it didn’t work out.  The gentlemen had a proposition that was a sure win and presented his pitch over breakfast at IHOP.  His words, “Trust me.” should have been a red flag but I pressed forward anyway.  In my mind I told myself that I didn’t need to trust this gentlemen, I needed to trust God.  When I signed the papers I looked at the gentlemen and calmly told him, “If I lose everything, you’ll have to reconcile it with God on the day of judgment”  His eyes were as big as silver dollars and his smile was gone.  For once, I saw someone actually in fear of God.  Of course the business didn’t succeed and within 18 months we wrote it off and moved on.  As for the gentlemen from across the table, he’s going to have to stand in front of God one day and explain himself; deep down inside that makes me a little happy.

In school I remember I could always count on my brother to have my back.  He is 3 years older than me and when trouble was afoot, I knew he would stand by me.  I had incredible confidence for a Freshman just walking into a high school of 1600 kids.  My brother’s reputation as a tough, strong Senior helped out tremendously when my smart aleck mouth went amuck.  It didn’t happen often, but I was never afraid of the older kids who’s path I might cross.  Then, he went away to college and it became very obvious to me that he wasn’t there for me anymore.  I quickly learned to keep my mouth shut and mind my P’s & Q’s to make it through the next 3 years.

God will always be there though.  It’s comforting to realize that we do not have to carry out vengeance in our lifetime.  It’s the natural reaction when someone wrongs you though.  Your intent is to make sure that they are dealt with justly and that their insolence does not go unpunished.  In reality, God sees every motive, every desire and every action.  He knows exactly what was on the other person’s heart when certain things happen.  In many cases it is an honest mistake, in other situations it is an intentional act to hurt you or someone close to you.  Either way, we must find the faith and strength in knowing that God will deal with that person, despite how much we may despise them at any moment.  God’s always got you back and the Bible is proof that He’s willing to “smite” people who cross those that He loves.


© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment