Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Still Cruisin'



Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It

“Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.” – Psalm 95:1-2

 It was black.  It was a 2 door sport coupe, 4 speed manual transmission, a cassette player and power windows.  It belonged to my best friend, and I spent hours in the passenger seat or behind the wheel of his 1983 Ford EXP, listening to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jim Morrison, Foreigner, Journey, Rush, Styx, REO, 38 Special and the Beach Boys.  Tecumseh didn’t have a big main strip.  On a Friday night or Saturday night that mile and a half through downtown was our time to show how cool we were by playing our music loud and singing along with the lyrics with the windows down, regardless of what time of year it was.  We couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket, but something about music made everything seem ok.  We were young, restless and probably did a lot of things we shouldn’t have done; but we created great memories and music was always a part of that.

The other night I was flipping through iHeartradio.com and stumbled upon a channel of 80’s Rock and Roll.  I pressed the play button and an AC/DC song came on.  My 9 year old looked up at me and stated with much conviction; “What is all of that screeching noise?”  Her Mom and I both looked at her and began laughing hysterically.  She couldn’t understand why, so we explained to her that those were the exact words our parents you to say when we were 16.  For just a moment Lisa and I were caught up in a timewarp, as 30 years fell off the calendar.


Music has always been a part of my life.  I’ve certainly listened to some screeching music and I’ve listened to some incredible artistic pieces, but it’s inside of me.  Now I listen to classical and contemporary Christian music with the same amount of passion as I did 30 years ago with rock and roll.  Today I find myself singing along with my iPOD or stereo on the way to work or to the store or anytime at all for that matter.  Despite who is with me, they are going to have to suffer through my off key melodies.  My kids sing along with me, and sometimes even my beautiful wife will join in.  Music has become a means to share our love with the Lord at all times, good and bad, happy and sad.  What used to be a means of releasing stress and acting cool, has become a means of rejoicing and celebrating what God has given us.  I’m sure there were people in David’s time, who looked at him and thought he was possessed or drunk as he danced and sang to celebrate his love for God.  Throughout Psalms and Kings we find David with arms lifted and heart open praising God and dancing with love and passion for his King. 

It's in all of us.  There is a melody buried deep inside of you, which brings out the love and passion you have for life and for your King.  Find that song, find that melody and lift your voice to the Lord in praise.  Today is a day for singing and rejoicing, for the Lord is upon His throne and we are saved by His grace.  Praise Him with Thanksgiving today. 

 


            
© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For an archive of Daily Thoughts go to: http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment