Tuesday, April 29, 2014

He's Alive




Continuing to celebrate the Resurrection

“So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!”” – John 20:2

I was 17 years old sitting in a parking lot at Meijer’s Thrifty Acres in Adrian, Mi.  It was Easter weekend and I was feeling very guilty about not loving my Savior as much as He loved me.  I was listening to WMUZ (103.5) and this song came on the radio.  I felt like Peter, and the tears flowed that night.  I felt guilt, shame, anguish and fear.  By the end of the song, I knew that no matter what God’s love for me would never change and I recommitted my life right then and there.  Here I am 32 years later and my 23 year old daughter and 10 year old daughter are walking around the house singing the very same song.  The tears are just as real today as they were then, as I think about all the times I’ve turned my back on my Lord out of fear, embarrassment or peer pressure.  I am so sorry Jesus.

The gates and doors were barred, all the windows fastened down
Spent the night in sleeplessness, and rose at every sound.
Half in hopeless sorry, Half in fear the day

We’d find the soldiers breaking through to drag us all away.

Just before the sunrise, I heard something at the wall.
The gate began to rattle and a voice began to call.
I hurried to the window, looked down into the street
Expecting swords and torches and the sounds of soldiers feet.

There was no one there but Mary, so I went down to let her in.
John stood there beside me, as she told us where she’d been.
“Someone moved him in the night and none of us know where,
the stone’s been rolled away and his body isn’t there.”

We both ran toward the garden, then John ran on ahead.
We found the stone and the empty tomb, just the way that Mary said.
The winding sheet they wrapped him in was just an empty shell.
How or where they’d taken him was more than I could tell.

Something strange had happened there, just what I did not know.
John believed a miracle, but I just turned to go.
Circumstance and speculation, couldn’t lift me very high
I’d seen them crucify him, and then I saw him die.

Back inside the house again, the guilt and anguish came.
Everything I’d promised him just added to my shame.
When at last it came the choices, I denied I knew his name.
Even if he was alive, it wouldn’t be the same.

Suddenly the air was filled with strange and sweet perfume.
Light the came from everywhere drove shadows from the room
Jesus stood beside me with His arms held open wide
I fell down to my knees, and clung to Him and cried.

He raised me to my feet, and when I looked into His eyes
Love was shining out from Him like sunlight from the skies
Guilt and my confusion, disappeared with sweet release
Every fear I’d ever had just melted into peace

He’s Alive – He’s Alive
He’s Alive and I’m forgiven, heaven’s gates are open wide
He’s Alive – He’s Alive
He’s alive and I’m forgiven, heaven’s gates are open wide
He’s Alive – He’s Alive
                                                Don Francisco (1982) “He’s Alive



© Sondove Enterprises, 2014
For more Daily Thoughts go to: http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment