Wednesday, January 9, 2013

De-stressing in the New Year





Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It


“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.” – 2 Timothy 2:15


I wake in the morning refreshed and ready to take on whatever lies before me with the strength and courage provided by God to endure the challenges and temptations.  Generally by 10AM I have already stepped outside of His guidance 2 or 3 times, and by noon I’m trying to conquer the world on my own.  By mid-afternoon, my stress level has gone through the roof and I’m struggling to get back on track, and by the end of the work day I’m typically frustrated and looking around for someone to blame.  The drive home allows me an hour of quality time to beat myself up over the mistakes made throughout the day and to belittle myself for not accomplishing the things that needed to get done.  Guilt and shame set in, and I question my ability to achieve what is expected of me.

How can a man go from filled with the courage of the Lord to feeling miserable in a 12 hour span of time, only to wake up the next morning and repeat the process.  This is not what God has designed for our life.  I can attest to the fact that when I wander from God’s presence in my day, I am going to quickly fall into a mode of struggling to keep up, feeling overwhelmed and incapable of achieving the goals I have set.  The problems that come across my desk each day are not for the weak at heart, and the expectation is that these problems are brought to conclusion leveraging the resources available to me on any given day.  The problem I have is that I find myself trying to solve the problems without God more frequently than with Him.

Are you in a similar position of finding yourself overwhelmed with the stress of your job, school, schedule or family commitments?  It’s not uncommon and so many people today are allowing life to control them, rather than the opposite.  This is your life.  You get to make the choices on how you will get through each day, each hour, each minute.  You will be able to solve some of the problems based on your prior life experiences and knowledge, but unfortunately life doesn’t play by those rules.  New problems will surface every day that need new thinking, new creativity and new disciplines to solve.  Where are you getting that strength from?  Who are you going to turn to for the wisdom, discernment and confidence to take on these new challenges that come up?

God created the world and all that is in it.  You believe this, right?
Then tell me, is there any problem that you are going to face today that He hasn’t already seen?  Is there something that is going to come up in your life that will catch God by surprise, or will cause Him to sit back and say, “Wow, I’ve never seen this before.”  Of course not.  We, are the obstacle to bringing closure to these problems in our life.  I am 48 years old and I’ve been in the professional marketplace for the last 27 years, managing people and projects.  Over that time I have learned a tremendous amount about problem solving and I often fall back on my own wisdom to try to solve the problems of today.  This demonstrates a lack of good judgment on my part, when I know full well that His ways are better than my ways, but I fail to seek His counsel and rush to my solution instead.

With the New Year upon us, one of my resolutions is to seek God’s wisdom and counsel in my daily walk, at work, at home, in the car and at rest.  I am done trying to solve the world’s problems on my own, and I turn it over to God the Creator, and seek how I might use His wisdom, confidence, knowledge and grace in my daily activities.  It is His truth that I want my day to be based upon, rather than listening the excuses of the world.  Perhaps this is something that you will join me in, and can commit to in your daily walk.  Start afresh each day with the Lord at the center of it all, and do not turn from His guidance throughout the day, but rather seek Him over and over again for directions.  I promise you, life will become less stressful and you will find the peace that His word promises.  But, the choice is yours and nobody else is going to make it for you.    

             
© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://sondove.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment