Monday, March 3, 2014

A Great Sacrifice


Make 2014 a year of Sharing


“Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”” – Genesis 22:2


As the sun reflects off the cool water on this brisk spring morning, I can’t help but reflect on the unusual climate we are experiencing this year.  When the temperatures are 78 degrees at 10 o’clock in the morning and 39 degrees at 7 PM that evening, I find it highly irregular.  Waking this morning to 28 degree weather in Houston, Texas is far beyond the average low for this time of year and there is evening talk of freezing rain and ice storms tonight. Where does God want to go on such a cold day?  What is on His path for my feet to pass over today and what might my life represent in His kingdom today?  Am I truly willing to carry out the Lord’s plan for my day, regardless of what it might be? 

God is working in this world today and shaping the hearts of mankind leading to the end that we all know is coming.  In His plan each of us have a part and place to usher in His kingdom.  Seek Him in your quiet, in your stillness.  Listen, hear Him in your thoughts, your heart, your vision for where you are going.  I sit here coffee in hand and ask what it is that He needs me to do for Him today, but deep inside I must confess that there are self imposed limitations that I raise.  I fear for the comforts I have become accustomed too, and I fear for losing myself in His control, yet that is exactly what is required.  He longs to lead, but in order to do so, I must determine to step out of the way and follow Him. 

I think of Abraham and Sarah.  I think of what must have run through Abraham’s mind when God woke him in the morning and told Him to sacrifice his son – Isaac.  God allowed Sarah to conceive when she was 90, so that He could build His kingdom through this child.  God had promised Abraham that He would make His lineage into a great nation to cover the earth (Genesis 12).  Abraham trusted in God’s promise as he walked up that mountain with his only son on that cold morning.  He held his emotions in check and prepared to kill his son at the request of the Lord, knowing that God would prevail.  I can’t state what was on his mind, but he must have fully trusted that God would either resurrect his son or would provide another answer.  Raising that blade over his son’s body, Abraham pushed through his fears to follow God’s command.  As we know, the story continues and God provides a ram, for the sacrifice, in the thicket.  (Genesis 22:13)

Through Abraham’s obedience and willingness to follow the command of God we are given an example of how the Lord will use people to usher in His kingdom upon the world.  He chose Abraham, not because of anything Abraham did uniquely; but because Abraham was a willing servant and trusted in the Lord.  Through Abraham – Isaac and many later generations God the Father brought forth His only Son to become the redemption for our sins.  Abraham could not have seen these events in the future lineage of his family, but God knew it is what must be.  As God begins to pour out His Spirit upon the nations of our world today, there is a purpose for you to follow His call with your life.  He may be asking you to trust Him in a huge way, just as Abraham did, and you may never know the impact of your faithfulness.  It is not for you to get the glory in following Him, but for you to bring glory to the Father.  As we begin the period of Lent, leading up to Easter 2014, I want you to seriously consider what you are doing for the Lord’s kingdom and be willing to sacrifice some of life’s comforts in order to draw closer to His purpose for your life.

© Sondove Enterprises, 2014
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment