Tuesday, June 3, 2014

More than Words



Make 2014 a year for sharing





“And He ordered us to preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as Judge of the living and the dead” – Acts 10:42

Remember as a child when your parents would tell you, “Just do what I said”?  Remember how hard it was to follow their instructions, even if in your heart you knew they were right?  Yeah, me too.  If I had only followed their advice, done what they said and given them the respect they deserved.  But, then again, I was a young man and knew what I wanted.  I had my own dreams, my own visions and my own plans for what I wanted to do with my life.  I didn’t have time to make the bed, take the dog for a walk, clean up my room, do the dishes or any other chore around the house that was expected of me.  Despite their repeatedly asking me to be home by 10, I was often out till the wee hours of the morning, doing things that I dare not ever let be known.  Now as a father and grandfather I look back and think about the choices and decisions made, but without regrets, for the Lord has continually blessed me and provided for me throughout.

Likewise, we read the word and lift our hands in prayers, but are we actually doing what it says.  Peter and Paul tell us throughout Acts that we are to take the gospel to the nations.  Is that a request or a directive?  We believe it, we want the salvation that comes through God’s Son – Jesus Christ, but are we truly willing to abide by what the good Word tells us to do.  Is sitting in a church pew on Sunday morning’s sufficient to meeting the requests of Jesus to serve our fellow brothers and sisters in need?  It is so easy to leave the sanctuary on Sunday filled with the Holy Spirit and dreams of impacting those around you only to wake up on Monday overwhelmed by the week of work, bills and commitments ahead.

If every person that went to church on Sunday actually woke up Monday morning and lived out what they heard or learned in church, we would have a much stronger impact on the evil in this world.  You see, there is an evil in this world that occupies so much of your time, thought and actions that you are unable to actually seek and grow in your Christian walk.  It’s not complacency, although that is also a problem to be reckoned with, it is a problem of prioritization.  We seem to be willing to prioritize everything in our life except the most important purpose, mission and reason for living; and that is serving God Almighty. 

At some point in our lives we must choose to commit to Him, or commit to ourselves.  When we commit to ourselves, we seek the happiness, wealth, desires, success and recognition in the immediate and present time.  In reality, by committing to Jesus Christ and living for Him, we are actually improving the life ahead of us and securing our place for our eternal life one day.  As the scriptures tell us in Acts 10:42 (also: Acts 17:31, 2 Corinthians 5:10, 1 Peter 4:5), there will come a day when we will stand before the Judge and be reconciled to the actions of this life.  I know when I stand before the One judge and hear Him ask, “What did you do with the gifts I gave you?”, I want to be found as one who, despite the many times I failed, I used the gifts He gave me to further His Kingdom on this earth.  I would ask that you do the same.


© Sondove Enterprises, 2014
For more Daily Thoughts go to: http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment