Friday, February 1, 2013

How Clear is Your Crystal Ball




Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It

"And just as it is destined that each person dies only once and after that comes judgment"  - Hebrews 9:27

Control. Are you like me, do you thrive on controlling your life? I don't care how many times I am reminded that the Lord is in control, I will turn around the very next day and take control right back. I believe it's in our general nature to be in control. Regardless of how much I realize that He has a better plan and a bigger picture, I see what I see and know what I know. I create lists, plans, budgets and detailed timelines for managing my life. My calendar in Outlook is up to date, my smart phone keeps reminding me when someone wants to email, IM or text and my car has every reminder you can imagine to ensure that the tires are rotated, oil is changed and it is maintained properly. Throw a wrench into the middle of my crystal blue pond though and the ripples will cause all the pieces to fall in on themselves.


  There always comes that point though that slaps me back into a dependency on the Almighty Creator. When I'm up against the proverbial wall and I see no way out of a situation, I've been known to fall into a depressed state and suffer from the chicken little syndrome (you know - the sky is falling). I'm quick to blame others for my calamity and pout in my circumstances. This happened recently, and a dear friend looked at me with the simplest of challenges. You know the question that always comes, "Did you pray about it?" What's the right answer to this question? If I say yes, then the natural assumption is that God now has it and will work it in His sovereign way, so I need to get out of the way and let Him take it. If I say no, then my faith is challenged and I am forced to the self-realization that I'm not giving God the control. In both responses the fundamental root answer is the same - God can take this, but you've got to give it to Him. Easier said than done isn't it?

  Why do we struggle with giving up control to the Creator of the galaxies? Think about these questions:
         - Did you have anything to do with your creation?
         - Can you defeat death?
         - Who has control at the point of judgement for your eternal status?

  We try to control our life, but we must consider that the very life we are working on was created and brought forth without any input from you and I. We breath in a gas that was created by the green plants surrounding the globe, and in the same manner breath out a gas that is consumed by these very plants. What part of that creative process did we partake in? That's right - we didn't. Likewise, water is created through evaporation and precipitation in a cyclical manner that sustains life. Was that by our design or His? You see, the life you have is controlled by the Creator because He designed it. He knows exactly what you were designed for and the purpose you would fulfill on this spinning globe. As much as we feel out of control, we have to fall back into His arms and let Him have the reins to our life. Dieing to ourselves is a state of giving up those things that separate us from His love, grace and purpose. In doing so, we actually find life. We find a life that is unbelievably full of righteousness and results.

  Likewise, the Creator has also established a time for each of us to come home. We see in Hebrews 9:27 that we are all destined to die once. In a natural way we have no control over that. There are unrighteous ways in which we can take control, but here again - since when have our plans been more fulfilling and blessed than His plans. He knows how many hairs are on your head, He knows your heart, He knows your mind and He knows your depression. If we've learned anything from scripture it is that we are created for God and to bring glory to Him through our life. Only He knows when that work has been completed. He kept John the beloved from dieing at the hands of a Roman emperor through poisoning, being boiled in a vat of oil and being banished to the island of Patmos. John was very old, well into his 90's. He was tired, having served Jesus Christ from early in his adult life. Yet, even still, God had a plan for John to be the recipient of His Revelation when John was on the island of Patmos. The One who created you and I, knows exactly the season of our life and the things we will accomplish in that timeline.

  Finally, do you have any control over your own judgment for eternity? Obviously, you have choices to make that bring you in line with God's grace and eternity with Him. But, here again, it is the Lord who has designed the perfect plan for your salvation. There's nothing you can do to earn, buy or control your salvation. Your salvation is given to you by the One who created it, and is the final judge. Only by the grace of our Lord are we given redemption and a place in His heaven. Some think they will have a second, third and multiple opportunities, but the scriptures are clear. There is one time appointed each man to die, and then judgment (Heb 9:27);
  "Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him" (2 Sam 14:14)
   "{Jesus}..to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.." (Jude 1:15)

  God is in control. The sooner we accept this and allow Him to be, the stronger we become and the more productive we are in His kingdom. Just as John was used well into his old age God may have a plan for you. Can you imagine in your mind what you will be doing for the Lord when you are 98? God doesn't need to imagine, He's already planned it. Why don't you get on board with His plan and find out what He's got in mind for you. I promise it will blow your socks off in comparison to what you had in mind.

             
© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://sondove.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment