Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What is Stopping You



Make 2014 a year of Sharing


“A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.” – Mark 12:42-44

What I have noticed in life is that the more we have the harder it is to give it away.  There was a time in my career when I would scrape and dig just to find a few quarters or a dollar to put enough gas in the car to get home.  It was at those times, though, I was certain to put a tithe in the offering plate on Sunday morning’s.  This tithe was often times quite small, but fully represented my heart in giving back to God what He had given to me.  As we draw toward the time of year when taxes must be paid, I look at the unjust economic system and cringe as I realize that my Government is demanding nearly 3X what my God requests from me.  Where should my loyalty rest?

 I have been truly blessed in my life, not by any of my doing.  Certainly my fingers have been on the keyboard and my mind has been at work to shape and mold business structures of success and models that have helped the companies I have worked for.  But all of that comes from the Lord.  He alone has given me the wisdom, passion, gifts and strengths to achieve what my employer has asked me to accomplish.  I am able to deliver on projects at work only because the Lord has given me the strength and knowledge at the right time to provide guidance and leadership as necessary.  If it were not from His love for me and His desire to see me move forward in my career, I dare say I would still be digging for quarters.  My philosophy is simple: everything I have is from the Lord – money, material possessions, health, family, love, talents, skills, knowledge and passions.  For how could I have created a brain cell or a muscle or a tongue or eyes in order to do the things I have done since birth. 

Do not get me wrong, I am certainly aware that my life is an amalgamation of experiences, learnings, wisdom acquired through trial and error, and many mistakes along the way.  Just like you and every other one of the 6.3 billion people on this planet, I learned that a stove is hot, either by touching it or by listening to my parents.  I’m saying that before that, from the very moment of birth my brain was already functioning to the point of capability to take in these new experiences.  At birth, only minutes old you have already learned to breathe, cry, speak audible tones, hear, move your muscles, suckle and sleep.  Who taught you to do these things?  Where did that knowledge come from?  Your brain started to create knowledge long before you actually began experiencing life. 

There is no denial that something greater than I created myself.  By acknowledging this simple fact we must then come to realize that this greater force is still working within your mind and soul to survive and succeed in this world.  Nothing you have is without His doing, for at the core of your ability to achieve in life is His design, creation and execution.  You are a result of His creative process and therefore He is responsible for all that you have obtained.  Humble yourself to realize that though you are extremely knowledgeable, wise and capable in this life, it is only because He designed you to be.

What are you giving back to He that created you?  Malachi 3:10 we read, “
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.”   Why do we find is so hard to follow this simple guidance from the Lord?  A tithe is 10%.  This means 10% of your time should be focused on expanding God’s Kingdom, 10% of your talent should be given back to serving those in need and 10% of your treasure.  We shouldn’t give a tithe because it is the law, we should be tithing because it is our way to demonstrate our faith, love and thanksgiving for the Lord’s provision in our life.  You may not have a church family to tithe to.  If this is the case, than tithe to a local charity, food bank, shelter or ministry.  Give back to God what He has given to you, and trust in His promise to bless you.  As my Pastor has said many times, “I would much rather have 90% of my income with God’s blessings, than 100% without.”  Seems pretty logical to me.

© Sondove Enterprises, 2014
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment