Thursday, February 8, 2018

37 Days – A Promise of the Holy Spirit



Pastor Randy’s devotional:
Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins, turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ to show that you have received forgiveness for your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise is to you, and to your children, and even to the Gentiles—all who have been called by the Lord our God.” Acts 2:38-40

January 31st Prayer:
Jesus, You promised in John 14 to give us another Helper—the Holy Spirit. You are the One who baptizes me in the Holy Spirit. I believe You! You promised me the Holy Spirit, and I know by faith that I am now the temple of the Holy Spirit. O Holy Spirit of God, love through me, joy through me. Let Your peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and gentleness be evident and visible in my life. Release Your powerful gifts to flow freely in and through me . . . in Jesus’ name!



My thoughts:
The Holy Spirit, my helper, my comforter, my advocate and my mentor.  In the book of John, the 14th chapter; Jesus tells us that He will send the Holy Spirit as our advocate.  He gives us a clear understand that He, the Father and the Holy Spirit are one; and that as a believer we receive the Holy Spirit, who will dwell within us.

“If you love me, keep my commands.   And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.  Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.  On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you….But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you”  John 14: 15-20, 26 (NIV)

Jesus was explaining to the disciples that He must leave and return to the Father, but that they (and therefore we) would not be alone in our pursuit.  Many fear the Holy Spirit because accepting requires admitting that God is always, always with you and guiding you.  Others, will demonstrate with outward examples of the Holy Spirit in their lives and acknowledge His presence through dance, worship, speaking in tongues and using their gifts for the Lord. 

What is it that the Holy Spirit is doing in and through your life?  Are you accepting His presence, letting His love flow through you, using your gifts as an expression of His purpose or worshipping and sharing His presence with others?  Just as the Father, nor Jesus can accept sin, neither can the Holy Spirit.  Our sinful worldly nature goes against His very nature, so there is a battle inside every time we are outside of His plan.  He is our advocate and therefore pulling us back to the righteous path.  This is why we know what is sinful in the eyes of the Lord and what is good.  We are righteous because He is righteous through us, not because of anything we have done or earned.  Believe that He is in you and leading you toward the Father’s perfect plan, and trust that indeed He is there for your peace, comfort and strength as you follow the Lord.

Be Blessed,
Rich

Join us on Facebook @ 10 Minute Reader Daily Thoughts or on Twitter @Sondove
If you would like to be added to the email distribution, please send an email here.
More information on The Crossing Church can be found here: FB: @thecrossing.cc;
www.thecrossing.cc


No comments:

Post a Comment