Monday, June 13, 2011

21st Century Psalms – His Love Endures

From the rising to the setting sun
His Love endures forever
and by the grace of God we will carry on
His Love endures forever
Sing Praise, Sing Praise
Forever God is faithful
Forever God is strong
                           - Forever  by Chris Tomlin – 2002 “The Noise We Make”

Have you ever gotten a worship song stuck in your head for days?  For several years I was involved in the ministry at Fellowship of the Woodlands and had the responsibility of creating the graphic images for the praise and worship songs.  I would spend three to four days each week getting the graphics just right to match the lyrics of a song and hopefully relay God’s love and compassion through the visual aspect of the Sunday morning service.  There were a few songs just after the turn of the century that would get stuck in my head all week long : Forever, God of Wonder, Above All, Awesome God, Open the Eyes of My Heart – just to name a few.  I still find myself singing these songs to my kids at night when I put them to bed.

What is it about a praise and worship song that makes it speak so deeply?  With all of the music in the world today vying for our attention, these have staying power.  Perhaps it is because they draw us closer to the God of the Bible.  With deep roots in scripture most praise and worship songs bring the Psalms and scriptures to life and draw us to a closer understanding.  David found that music and singing to God gave him the opportunity to bare his heart and soul before the Lord.  I believe in each of us it is inherent to draw some emotional tie to music and in doing so open up our heart to hear God’s word.

In the gospel of
Matthew and Mark we are reminded that even the Lord himself with the disciples sang songs of praise to the Father in heaven.  Singing praise and worship is another way of demonstrating our deep love and devotion to God the Father.  Paul references singing hymns in several places throughout his writings; most memorably while he and Silas were in prison.  God’s love is poured out upon us in many ways, and we need to take in all of it.  His grace is love, the beauty of the earth is His love and music represents His love.  The emotion you sometimes feel when you hear certain music draws us closer to His enduring love.  It reminds us that no matter how difficult life is, how steep our struggles, God is always there.
Prayer:
Loving Father
,
Fill me with Your love oh Lord.  Help me to see the purity and the beauty of everything You have given me.  Be my strength when I am weak and the song in my heart to keep me focused on You.    In Your name we pray – Amen

http://www.10minutereader.com
©Sondove Enterprises, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment