Thursday, June 2, 2011

Look Up

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart.  The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.” – Job 1:21

I went out to head to work one day, running late and feeling the stress of the workload ahead of me that day.  I hopped in my truck and backed out of the driveway and suddenly heard a loud crunch.  Looking back over my shoulder I see my wife’s van sitting in cul de sac now attached to my truck’s bumper.  Pounding my hands on the steering wheel in frustration, I couldn’t believe that I had just smashed both of our family vehicles in my haste.  Trudging into the house, in my frustration and embarrassment, I proceeded to tell my wife about the situation.

I’m sure you’ve had similar days where one thing after another after another just seem to be going wrong.  It almost seems as though someone is out to get you, and they’re winning.  Job had just lost everything, save his wife and friends.  In one day he lost his livestock (wealth), his employment, his possessions and his children.  His reaction is the most bizarre part of the story though.  In verse 20, “Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship” 

The perspective of Job is one that each of us need to focus on when we look at the struggles and problems in our life.  We must remind ourselves that this life is given to us by the God Almighty, and is simple a season of our eternal existence.  The things we surround ourselves with are temporary, and as much as we are attached emotionally to these things, our life is truly to serve God. 

If everything were taken away from you tomorrow, could you still praise and worship God?  Would you still be able to serve God’s kingdom?  It’s unimaginable that a man would have this much resolve to lose everything and still carry on with the same clarity of faith and purpose in the Lord.  Job’s response is an image of strength and courage because he did not allow the worldly events to stop him from looking up to the Creator for answers.

Prayer:
Almighty God
,
In Your word You have stated that in this life we will have struggles and hardships.  Thank You for giving us the strength and courage to view this life with an eternal perspective.  Help us to fend off our dependence on material possessions and belongings, to focus our attention solely on Your will in our life.  Bring us to the place where the distractions are removed and our eyes are set completely on You.  In Your name we pray – Amen
http://www.10minutereader.com
©Sondove Enterprises, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment