Wednesday, June 15, 2011

21st Century Psalms – It’s Our Job

If we are the body
Why aren’t His arms reaching
Why aren’t His hands healing
Why aren’t His words teaching
Why aren’t His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way
Jesus paid much too high a price
For us to pick and choose who should come
We are the body of Christ
              - If We are the Body – by Casting Crowns – 2003 “Casting Crowns”

Convicting yet truthful.  Casting Crowns lyrics generally hit right in the core of our humanity, our weakness and our laziness.  How many can stand up with open arms, loving and accepting arms of our Savior and welcome others in.  So many times we hear stories of the gossip, the stories, the judging and the snide remarks about someone, generally behind their back.  I recall hearing a couple at lunch one Sunday after church complaining about another person (call him Joe) in attendance that morning.  They were commenting on how they had seen Joe Friday night at the bar, being loud and obnoxious after having drank too many margaritas.  Then they went on to talk about Joe’s bitter divorce after he was caught in an affair with a close family friend.  The conversation died down after a few minutes, but the indictment and judgment had already been made.

Pastor Kerry (Shook at Fellowship of the Woodlands) used to say – “We are a church of imperfect people serving a perfect God.  If you find the perfect church, don’t join, ‘cause you’ll make them imperfect.”  You see we have all fallen short of God’s perfect creation in one way or another.  I’m a procrastinator, I curse now and then when my temper flares up, I lose my patience easily and I’m a workaholic which distracts from my family time.  But, God and I are working on all of that and I know I am loved, accepted and cherished by Him enough that He would give His own Son’s life for someone like me to enter heaven.  If my sins are forgiven, than so are Joe’s (above).  Jesus did not die for some sins and not others, or for some people and not others.  He died to take away the sins of all mankind. 

Our role is to be God’s hands, feet and voice to the nations.  We are to love others as God first loved us (John 15:12) and to show compassion to others with humility and sympathy (1 Peter 3:8).  Jesus taught his disciples to love others, and in turn His word has taught you and I the same.  You don’t have to love their actions, but it is our job to love them as God would love them.
Prayer:
Heavenly Father
,
Forgive me Lord for my judging of others.  I long to be like You and able to see past the surface and know their heart.  I want to be able to share Your love and grace with every person I meet.  My heart longs to serve You more completely and be Your hands, feet and voice to the lost.  Help me to grow in my knowledge and faith that I might be of service to You and bring You glory.  In Your name we pray – Amen

http://www.10minutereader.com
©Sondove Enterprises, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment