Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Nothing Less than 100%

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”  And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”  – Isaiah 6:8

I sit in meetings at the office and listen to the complaints about how much there is to do and how overwhelmed people are with the workload.  I’m in the same boat.  Every day it seems as though more and more things need to get accomplished and there is a never ending list of those things that get re-prioritized lower in the stack.  If we allow ourselves to become consumed with work in this life, than we are playing right into the hands of the evil one.  For you see, busyness is one of his tools.  If he can keep your hands and mind focused on earthly problems and projects that are relatively insignificant in the eternal perspective than he can keep you from doing the work of the Lord.

One of my favorite verses in the Word of God is Isaiah 6:8.  It represents everything that is in my heart and desire for life.  Even today, in the 21st century the Lord continues to seek those that will stand, step forward and say, “Here I am Lord, send me.”  With a heart for serving God, an open mind and willingness to go or do whatever He asks, there is nothing that is beyond this person’s reach.  The problem is, at least with me, I remain bound by the world’s priorities and lack the faith to free myself to pursue God’s plan.

Isaiah was driven by hearing the Lord in a prophetic manner and able to communicate this to the King’s of the 8th and 7th century B.C.  He was able to have counsel with the leaders of the day and articulate with precision and clarity what was to happen to the Israelites into the future.  He became God’s messenger and his prophecies became a foundation for Christianity, as they detail the coming Messiah and the end of times.  He became one of the most well known prophets of the Bible because of his ability to communicate and evangelize the truth from God without sugarcoating it.  Many did not like what he said, and refused to believe and/or follow it and paid the ultimate price because of it.

Isaiah’s knee still bled when he stumbled along the rocky roads and mountainous terrain.  He ate three meals a day and got a goodnight’s sleep most nights.  He married and raised a family to serve the Lord as well.  He didn’t travel far, but his words and messages have resonated in the hearts of mankind for nearly 3000 years.  We don’t know exactly how old he when he passed on, but it’s safe to say that he served as a prophet for a long time, covering the reign of four different kings of Judah.  So, what does any of this have to do with you and I?

Isaiah, was dedicated to his task in life and it wasn’t riches, wealth, material possessions or fame.  His task in life was to live for God, and do or go wherever God asked of him.  He made himself 100% available to serve God with passion, rather than live for those around him and be driven by earthly direction.  Do you believe God still desires His children to dedicate themselves to serving Him as Isaiah did?  If the answer is “No”, than the resulting conclusion is that God changed over the last 3000 years.  I, for one, am of the belief that God is immutable and unchanging.  Therefore, what God requested of Isaiah is the same that He requests of us today.

“Abide in me, and I will abide in you.” (
John 15:4-5)  Jesus tells us to bear good fruit in our life, and that this is only possible through abiding in Him.  Note, He’s asking, “Pretty please, won’t you do this for me.”, but rather He’s instructing us.  God hasn’t changed, neither has His requirement for us to step forward and say, “Here I am Lord, send me.”  We are here upon this earth for one purpose and one purpose only when it all comes down to it.  That purpose is to love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, all your soul and all your might.  By doing this, our hearts will become open to serving Him fully.
Prayer:
Heavenly Father,
In Your word You have taught us the meaning of serving You by loving others and sharing of Your grace and mercy.  Help me Lord to align my priorities in a manner that best suits Your desire for my life.  I seek to serve You with every part of me and to be busy doing Your work in this life, rather than man’s work.  I choose to abide in You, Lord, and ask that You abide in me, such that my life will reflect Your grace to others.  In Your name I pray – Amen
http://www.10minutereader.com
©Sondove Enterprises, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment