Friday, July 29, 2011

No 2nd Chances

For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?"” – Mark 8:36
The father of one of my best friends in school told me one day when I was just a small boy, “There are two things in life that are unavoidable: taxes and death.”  I’ve experienced one and I haven’t yet figured out how to avoid the later.  In Ecclesiastes 3:1-2, Paul tells us “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven, a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot   If unlike me, you have figured out the key to avoid death than you have little inspiration for seeking answers to the questions about life, purpose and what comes next.  Unfortunately, the rest of us still struggle with these questions as we hear the clock ticking on the wall in the front room.

I hear in the news of the death of another actress, singer or actor and I find myself more concerned over their salvation than what they did in life.  Amidst all of their triumphs, success and celebrity status, did they ever come to a relationship with Jesus Christ?  That opportunity has now passed them by, they don’t get a 2nd chance.  In death the one thing we can’t do is fully understand the last thoughts, feelings and emotions of someone the moment they pass away.  Often times we are there as they draw their last breath, and we know how they seemed leading up to that moment, but we don’t know their absolute last thought when it’s over.  I’ve speculated that many are screaming inside as this moment approaches and they realize that eternity is for real, and they’ve chosen foolishly.

Life is unpredictable and filled with uncertainty.  You have the opportunity to make choices in life and to do something with what you have been given.  We are all born for one purpose – to serve God.  In doing so, we love one another, become stronger in our faith and prosper in the ways of the Lord, not necessarily in financial wealth.  If most of us were completely honest with ourselves, we would realize that our priorities in life are wrong.  It’s easy to make a statement that God is first in your life, but are you living like He is?  Does your life example demonstrate to those around you that God is the center of everything you do, or is He the One you visit on the weekend. 

You get one shot at this, there is no 2nd chance.  Your purpose in life is defined and waiting for you.  In my heart, I know what my purpose is; and I’m sure you have a good idea what your’s is as well.  The problem we all face is whether we accept it, embrace it and will act on it.  It’s not a mystery and hidden away somewhere that you’ll find sometime in the future.  It’s inside of you right now, dying to begin.  The only reason most of us haven’t found our purpose is that we are unwilling to accept the one that’s been laid out for us.  Choosing to embrace your purpose in life, likely means forfeiting some other things in life.  When it all comes down to it – you have made a choice and the real question is – are you happy with the choice you made?


Prayer:
Almighty God,
I kneel before Your throne and thank You for giving me a life to serve You.  Thank You for the opportunity to share Your gospel with others through this medium.  I ask that You take this word upon Your spirit and spread it as far and wide as possible.  Help each person receiving this message today to grow in their understanding of purpose in their life.  Holy Spirit, I pray that You convict each of us in a way that we long to serve the Father as He so deserves.  In Your name I pray – Amen


http://www.10minutereader.com
©Sondove Enterprises, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment