Thursday, March 1, 2012

Learning from our Kids

Read it, Learn It, Live It, Share It
 “The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son [is] the heaviness of his mother. “ – Proverbs 10:1

He’s six years old and his curiosity is never ending.  His name is David and he’s my son.  I am watching him grow and learn and become a spirit filled child right before my eyes.  Every parent is proud of their children and want to brag about them, and I’m no exception to this premise.  I love to brag about all of my children and do so frequently.  It is a constant affirmation to God’s love, grace and blessing on me and my wife, to see how incredible our children are.  We have been blessed with amazing kids and each uniquely seeking their purpose in God’s kingdom.  But, back to David.

It’s 11ish o’clock on Friday night and I hear his little footsteps at the top of the stairs.  Lisa and I had been going over paperwork and family business stuff when we heard him.
“David, it’s way past your bedtime”
“I know Dad, but how do I clean my insides?”“What do you mean, David?”
“I mean, I know how to wash the dirt off my hands and face, but how do I clean the inside of me?”
“David, only God can clean your insides, and get rid of the bad things.”
“Can you show me how?”
“Absolutely David, come downstairs and let’s pray together.”

Last night at dinner, he gets a very serious look on his face and then asks this question:“Dad, what’s the smallest thing in the world?”
“A quark, why?”
“Well, I think that God is so big we are like a quark to him.  I mean as big as we are to a quark, God is that big to us. {frustration ensues}  auughh…..you know what I mean.”
“Yes, David I know what you mean.  Did you know that God created the quark, and God created the biggest thing in the Universe – the sun, and He created everything in between.”
“Cool”
I’m learning from my son’s constant reminders that God is bigger than any problem I am facing.  At the age of 6, he trusts this completely; why then at the age of 47 do I struggle with it?  Jesus tells his disciples in Matthew 18, that we all must become faithful and humble like children to enter the Kingdom of heaven.  I get it now.  I truly get it.

© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For additional Daily Thoughts, please visit:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment