Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Just Sit There and Rest


Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It with your friends


“Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.””  – Mark 6:31


We have all heard the expression, “I need a vacation from my vacation.”  What we are really hearing is that life is unbelievably busy and I just want to get some rest.  Last year we went on vacation to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.  We rented a cabin in the mountains away from the hustle and  bustle of city life, with very little cell phone reception and disruptions.  Eleven miles from the cabin though was one of the busiest tourist spots in America.  Known for their unbelievable fourth of July celebrations, millions of people are drawn to this small town every July.  During our vacation, we would blend in with this crowd every day for a week, leading up to the celebration.  Elbow to elbow, we would walk amongst the shops and restaurants and wait in lines for the events.  Each night we would retreat to the cabin in the mountains and collapse in exhaustion from the daily activities.

Each morning though, I would wake early, grab my laptop and guitar and make my way onto the deck of the cabin.  Looking out over the valley of trees, I could see the lights of other cabin dwellers in the distance, waking early as well.  In this moment, there was peace and rest.  I could hear the animals walking through the forest, the mourning doves co-cooing and every now and then a deer might pass by.  There were bear on this mountain, but I never happened to see one during the whole trip.  Sitting there with my glass of orange juice, I would sing praise songs to God Almighty.  I would relax in His presence for a brief moment each day, and hear from Him through His word.  These few moments, in the stillness of the mist covered mountain morning, I had my vacation. 

This was my release from the world’s busyness.  There on that mountain, it was me and God and nature.  I poured out my praises on Him, and believe it or not, it was a David moment for me.  David would extract himself from his Kingly duties and get 1:1 with God to rekindle his strength and to praise Him.  In these moments, David would pen the book of Psalms and pour out his love on God Almighty.  In these moments, there is nothing between you and God.  It is the opportunity for you to demonstrate love to the Lord, and the opportunity for Him to love you in return.  If you are like most, you are seeking how you fit into God’s plan in this world.  I can assure you, as long as you are overwhelmed by the world’s busyness, you will never discover the answer to this basic question.  Find time to remove the clutter, the confusion, the noise and the chaos from your life and step into a 1:1 time with God Almighty each morning or night.  Open up your heart and mind to hear His word for you, and find rest in these moments.  For it is in doing this that you are given the strength to take on the rest of the day’s chaos.


© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment