Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Saw God Today

“Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”  – Proverbs 22:6

Have you ever just watched the eyes of a child when they are completely filled with God’s love?  There are times, if you are looking for them, when you can actually see His compassion, peace, joy and love pour out from them.  So many times we are looking for God to be present in the world’s troubles when He shows Himself right before our eyes. 

Let me tell you a story of one of my daughter’s.  I was in a position where I had my 3 youngest children plus my youngest Grand-daughter, 2 strollers, 2 car seats and a diaper bag.  We were at a crowded event and looking at the situation I had no choice but to look to Samantha, my 7 year old angel for help.  I knelt down next to her and said, “Sam, I need your help.  I can’t do this alone.  Can you push the stroller with Peyton (Grand-daughter) back to the car, while I push Emma and David?”  “Sure Dad”, is all she said.

Weaving our way through thousands of people, I watched as she methodically guided this large stroller through the crowd.  All the while Peyton slept quietly.  On the other hand I was struggling with the other two toddlers, running amongst the people, not staying in the stroller and pretty much doing what toddlers do – toddle.  As the crowds thinned we still had over a mile to walk to the car.  Samantha never said a word, but just kept focused on her job, taking care of Peyton.  Over large cracks in the sidewalk, curbs, grassy areas and mud puddles, she demonstrated every ounce of love she had for that baby.  She would stop periodically and rub her face, calming her until she dozed back to sleep.  She never complained about the distance or having to push a stroller.

Finally, we arrived at my car – a small 4 door sedan.  All four kids would have to squeeze into the back seat, with 2 car seats.  With car seats on the outer edges of the back seat, Samantha and David would have to squeeze between them.  David whined and complained about this predicament for the next 45 minute drive home, as any normal small child would in such a tight spot.  Peyton was now distraught and did not want to ride in the car.  Samantha took over and once again calmed the baby down, giving her a bottle and singing her praise songs all the way home.  When Peyton would fuss or cry, Sam would love on her, rub her face and help her again.  The whole way home, Sam never complained about being squeezed into the back seat, she remained intently focused on taking care of Peyton.

I saw God in my own child today.  When we come to the point of realizing we can’t handle something, and ask God to take care of it, He will.  I asked Sam to help with Peyton, and despite the frustration, aggravation and stress I was feeling in getting all of the kids to the car and safely home, I watched her calmly and peacefully take care of Peyton.  Just as in everything, it’s the things we choose to hang on to that will continue to overwhelm us with stress and anxiety.  God wants us to bring our problems to Him.  He desires you to trust and reach out for His help on even the smallest problems in life, and He promises to be there for you (
1 Peter 5:7).  Take time today to cast your concerns upon the Lord and let that burden go.
Prayer:,
Heavenly Father,
Thank You for showing me Your peace and love through the actions of Samantha.  Thank You for filling me with peace in knowing that You are there to help with all of my problems, great and small.  I trust in You and Your promise to lift the burdens from my shoulders and bring me guide me through the storms in life.  Glory be to Your name in all that I do today – Amen

http://www.10minutereader.com
©Sondove Enterprises, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment