Monday, September 5, 2011

Peace in the Turbulence

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” - John 14:27

It was 1992 and I was preparing to leave my home town in Michigan. There were emotions running rampant inside, excitement, curiosity, adrenaline rush to name a few. In addition, I can add to this list anxiety and worry. There is always a trepidation that accompanies every major decision in our life. That moment where we second guess ourselves and whether we are truly ready for what we have signed up for. This is where I was as I drove away from my wife and family on my way to the airport. Heading off to Florida on my own, while she stayed behind to sell the house and wait for the movers. As the plane’s wheels left the tarmac I was overcome with the onslaught of uneasiness and fear.

Up to that point in my life I had always been near family, near my parents, my friends and my wife’s family. I had a support network available to me anytime I needed them, day or night. As the plane ascended it finally dawned on me, that I did not know anyone in Florida, and that for the first time in my life I was on my own. Just me, my 13” color TV, a sleeping bag and a week’s worth of clothes. Peace was not something that came easy in this circumstance. It was the farthest thing from my mind. I had taken for granted how comfortable life was, and how important that close group of friends and family had been to my having peace in my life.

This must have been how it was for the disciples. We find Jesus sharing his last discourse with them and had explained that He was going away and they could not come with Him. Most had been with Him for 2 ½ years or more at that time. They had clung to Him as their strength, comfort and guide to matters beyond the visible. He had loved them and nurtured them, and let’s face it this news had to be a shock to them. His words, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you…” was a reassurance that even though He wasn’t going to be there with them physically, He was always going to be there in the form of the Holy Spirit providing them the same Peace they had experienced in His presence.

This is the key to the entire verse. Christ’s departure brought forth the comforter, counselor and Spirit of truth upon His disciples. This Holy Spirit provides the peace in Jesus absence as well. For in the Holy Spirit they could find God the Father and Jesus Christ the Son – all in one. Through this relationship, they were comforted once again and found peace to carry on with their ministry. This Holy Spirit that indwelled the disciples in the first century church is the same exact Holy Spirit that dwells within you. This brings a comfort and peace from God the Father into your life. You are entitled to peace through the Holy Spirit when you’re flesh is weak, and when emotions are overwhelming your senses.

Fear, trepidation and anxiety are all things that can easily cripple a Christian. Discouragement and loneliness can set in and then depression. When you feel yourself falling into this trap it is important to know you have a resource that is fully aware of your situation and asks only that you trust Him to lead the way back to peace. This peace comes from an eternal perspective. Taking your eyes off of today’s worries and business and focusing on God the Father will draw you closer to Him and the Holy Spirit. See the end game, not the obstacles and all of a sudden the peace and comfort return. Knowing that the road is not easy, and life will be full of peaks and valleys, you can remain focused on getting to the goal line and spending eternity with Jesus Christ. This is where true peace will be found.
PRAYER:
Almighty God,
You have made us wonderfully complex and loving Lord. You have formed within each of us a heart designed perfectly to conform to Your hand and will upon our life. As fear enters our mind and anxieties attack from all sides, let us fall back on the assurance that You are in control Lord. Let us find our peace in knowing that You are God and that Your love is never failing. - Amen

(c) Sondove Enterprises, 2011
For More Daily Thoughts go to : http://www.10minutereader.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment