Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Stop and Breathe

“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”  - Colossians 3:13

I remember a quote from C.S. Lewis – “Everyone says forgiveness is a lovely idea, until they have something to forgive.”  It is often easy to talk about what you might do in a certain circumstance until that circumstance hits home.  There have been many times in my life when others have done something that left me hurt, angry and feeling very vengeful.  I don’t think there is any point in my life I felt less a Christian though.

As a believer in Christ I am held to constantly check my attitude for feelings of selfishness, greed, contempt and revenge.  It is so much more difficult to execute than to discuss.  How many times have I shot off a response to someone who wrongs me without thinking through the consequences and ramifications that would result.  How often have I thought only of myself without considering the other person’s point of view or what might have led them to do what they had done.  There is no way to go through this life without confrontation and without our feelings being hurt by another.  The key is in how we react and whether or not we can represent the love of Jesus Christ in our reaction.

In his book, Sources of Strength, President Jimmy Carter shared:
“After a personal witnessing experience with Eloy Cruz, an admirable Cuban pastor who had surprising rapport with very poor immigrants from Puerto Rico, I asked him for the secret of his success. He was modest and embarrassed, but he finally said, ‘Senor Jimmy, we only need to have two loves in our lives. For God, and for the person who happens to be in front of us at any time.’ That simple yet profound theology has been a great help to me in understanding the Scriptures. In essence, the whole Bible is an explanation of those two loves.”
You see, before reacting; if you stop and breathe, consider the other person’s, and realize that as a Christian we are to love them like Jesus it helps.  I’m not saying that the feelings go away, but the anger is minimized into a reaction based on God’s love instead.  Regardless of the immediate feelings we might have for someone based on a given situation, we must always remind ourselves that God’s grace and forgiveness is great enough for even the most heinous acts.  Controlling our emotions and anger towards others actions will result in a stronger relationship with God the Father, and you’ll be amazed at how much it goes toward helping the perpetrator realize the error of their ways. 


Heavenly Father,
You have given me life, filled me with love and provided grace and mercy to secure my salvation.  I am unworthy of everything you have given me, and yet I am so grateful that You have chosen to accept me despite my unrighteousness.  Thank You for the grace and forgiveness through Your Son – Jesus Christ.  Help me to reflect Your love to those who have offended me and give me the peace to find forgiveness and mercy for them.  In Jesus name we pray – Amen.
© Sondove Enterprises, 2011
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment