Saturday, September 17, 2011

Who Am I?

“There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.”  - 1 Corinthians 12:4-5
I’ve come to a stage in life where I spend much of my time reflecting on how I got here and how did the last 30 years pass by so quickly.  I have found that every one of us have the tendency to look back at our lives and wonder, did I do enough, could I have done it differently, what would have happened if…, or why did such and such have to happen.  We learn from our experiences, sometimes those of us, like me, who are thickheaded or stubborn, have to experience things multiple times to actually learn from it.  A mentor of mine once told me that each of us contribute to society based on 3 basic fundamental elements: Skills we have learned; knowledge we have gained and Gifts given from the Lord.

If you think about it, life is filled with experiences that will shape our future actions and perspective on challenges we are going to face.  When we learn from these experiences we become better equipped and better understand the impact of decisions we are faced with.  The simplest example is to watch the children absorb what’s going on around them, and then either mimic it or avoid it based on whether the outcome is seen as good or not.  The knowledge we gain from our education, books, media and conversations help to expand our horizons.  Face it, there is more information available today than any time in history.  Take a moment to step back and realize just how much you know about other countries, cultures, politics and religions from what you have heard or learned, rather than from actually experiencing.  But, information is not knowledge, it is only the catalyst for knowledge.  Each of us retain that which is important for our walk in life and thereby choose the limitations and breadth of our knowledge. 

Finally, we each bring gifts to bear on the pathway of life.  The scriptures tell us that God has provided each of us with spiritual gifts and talents that make us unique in everything we do.  Some are creative, some are nurturers, some are teachers, some are compassionate, some are analytical – the list goes on and on.  The characteristics and mannerisms that make each of us unique were built into our DNA at conception and are strengthened throughout or life.  Realizing what these key gifts or talents are help us find our place in God’s plan.  These gifts were given to each of you to use for His Kingdom and to help His children find their way home.

This weekend take a piece of paper and divide it into three sections.  Title one section Skills, the next section Knowledge and the third section Gifts.  Now list the top 5 things that come to mind in each area: The top 5 things you’re good at doing; the top 5 things you know that help you in life; and the top 5 gifts/talents that make you who you are.  Tape this list to the mirror in your bathroom.  This is who God made you to be – this is who you have become.  Every day ask yourself – “How am I going to use what God has given me to improve the world.”  Then go and do it.
Heavenly Father,
I am miraculously formed from Your creative breath.  At the moment of conception You were already building and shaping me into the person that I am today.  You have given me unique gifts and talents to better serve You and Your children.  Help me to realize these gifts and use them to the fullest of my capability to expand Your Kingdom.  Thank You for making me exactly the way I am and for providing me the opportunities in life to bring You glory.  In Jesus name we pray – Amen.
© Sondove Enterprises, 2011
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment