Monday, September 19, 2011

You've Gotta Own It

“I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.” – 2 Timothy 1:5


Over the years I have had several conversations with folks about their faith.  Quite randomly at times, and other times with intention of learning more about my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Time and time again I am confronted with the situation where the question – “So tell me, how do you know you’re a Christian?” spawns a reaction of something along these lines – “Well, my mother always read the Bible to us, and she was in the Church choir.  She and my father were always in church it seemed.  Our family is very religious you know.”

Many believe that their relationship with Jesus Christ was handed to them or is the result of something that was given to them.  The scripture tells us in
John 1:11-13 (and I paraphrase) that God came to those who would receive him, not because of their ancestors or a spouse will, but personally born again of God.  In Romans 10:10, it tells us “It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and with your mouth that you confess and are saved.”  Your relationship with Christ may have been initiated through a family member, or friend; but it must be something you personally own.  If you were the only person in all of time, realize that Christ still would have gone to the cross for your salvation and redemption.

We are all separated from God, from the moment we are born until the time in which we make that personal commitment to follow Him.  This separation is not something we choose, but something we are born into.  This is what is handed down from generation to generation all the way back to Adam and Eve’s original sin.  Therefore, each man, woman and child is personally responsible for their eternal destination. Their personal choice to accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord is not something that can be handed down or made by a parent, spouse or friend.  Your eternal destination is completely up to you, and you’ve gotta own it.

Heavenly Father,
You are loving, all powerful and full of grace.  We are unworthy of Your love and acceptance, yet You pour it out daily for us to walk in.  Thank You for providing a path to eternity with You, through Your Son – Jesus Christ.  I am literally amazed every time I think about how incredible Your love for me is, and how wonderful it is to be part of Your Kingdom.  I long for the days to come where I can sit at Your feet and worship You forever more.  In Jesus name we pray – Amen.
© Sondove Enterprises, 2011
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment