Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Powerless


Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It with your friends


“‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.” – Zechariah 4:6



It’s raining and the roads are showing signs of flooding.  The culverts along each side are already to the point of overflowing and the rains are still coming down.  The forecast says there is a 40% chance of rain, yet I can look out my window and see that the odds are much greater.  As I came over a small hill and around a ‘S’ turn over a bridge I noticed that the cars were waiting patiently to cross through standing water on the road.  The river below had crested and was actually flowing over the road now rather than under it.  It was my turn to drive through the small stream of water that was easily 6 inches deep across the road.  As I was making my way through it I looked up and saw a large 4 wheel truck coming the opposite direction without a care.  He proceeded right into the water at normal speeds of 35 mph and caused a wake (wave) of water which completely covered the front hood of my car.  For that brief 10 seconds my engine was literally under water and as you can imagine, shut down. 

The truck proceeded through and out the other side on his way, I’m sure laughing at the car he had left in his wake stalled in the middle of this stream of water.  I couldn’t open my door, for the water was above the bottom of the car and would have come into the car if I did.  I tried to re-start the car and the engine muffled a few whines and groans, but nothing.  I looked at the cars ahead of me, and the cars behind me; both waiting patiently for me to move, but neither willing to get out of their car to push me out of the middle.  I lowered my head against the steering wheel, closed my eyes and prayed – “God, let this car start and let me get out of this flood.”  I turned the key, and floored the gas pedal, the engine turned over and I slammed the car into drive.  I drove out of the water to higher ground and proceeded on my way to work praising God for His mercy and miracles.

You do not have control of situations in life, as much as we want too.  Things are going to happen and you are going to wonder – Why?  without getting an answer.  The reality is that God is in control, He is Sovereign and He is Omniscient.  The Spirit that dwells inside of those that have been saved, is the spirit of God that I speak of.  The Trinity tells us that the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are One.  The Father in heaven, the Son who came and dwelt among us and the Holy Ghost that lives within us.  When we are seeking answers from God, the Spirit within us is there to comfort, counsel and help us.  He is the same presence of God that dwelt within the disciples and apostles of the early church.  Jesus, before leaving to be with the Father until His return, sent the Holy Spirit to be with His people.  (John 16:7)

We are not alone in this world, to defend evil and darkness on our own.  We have the strength of God Almighty within each of us, yet we rarely come to counsel with Him in our time of need.  God promised you that the Holy Spirit would be with you always, do you not believe that is true?  God is truth, righteousness and perfect – He will not lie, nor misguide you in the ways of righteousness.  His promises are truth and reliable, if we would only seek Him in our times of distress.  There are circumstances in your life where regardless of your intelligence, your skill, your might, your strength or your power; you cannot make a difference.  God can.  He created this earth, I’m quite sure there is nothing that can happen here that He cannot overcome, if it is within His sovereign will.  We need to be willing to reach out to Him for control, guidance and help; and to accept that sometimes what we want is not in line with His plans.  His power and authority are there for you to tap into – don’t give up – reach out.

© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment