Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Thirsting Soul



“As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When can I go and meet with God?” – Psalm 42:1-2

One of the great things about living in the Woodlands, Texas is that in a city of nearly 100,000 people we have a tremendous amount of nature settings, woods, streams and lakes.  This natural setting of God’s great earth brings man and animal together in many different ways.  Deer frequently are seen along the sides of the road or along the riverbanks and amidst the trees as one might drive through our beautiful city.  I recall one morning I was driving to work and came to a bridge over one of the many streams through the Woodlands and standing alongside the embankment were no less than 20 deer of various age. From larger males with a full rack of antlers to spotted fawns staying very close to their mothers, they were unphased by the passing cars as they ate from the morning grass covered in dew. 

These animals seem so unbelievably docile and tender, a truly beautiful creation from our Lord.  As I drove closer the herd began to cross over the roadway in front of me.  I literally had to slam on the brakes as a few stood directly in the road and looked straight at me from in front of my car.  As I watched them, one by one, cross over I noticed they were going down to the river’s edge for a drink of water.  Putting their very life at risk by crossing in front of on-coming cars they were drawn to the fresh water, and as a group made their way to it.

I watch the news, I listen to the pundits and hear of the devastation, anger and conflict around the world and my heart longs for resolution.  It aches for God’s divine interaction and peace.  How long will God tolerate our obstinate and rebellious nature?  There is fresh water through His word, mercy and love and yet many will choose to drink from the fountain of filth and disdain.  As a people, we have become arrogant, prideful and self-centered.  A small percentage of the world today would tell you they are reliant on God or fear God’s wrath.  We choose to only see the side of God that is in line with our desires and wishes for life.   Drawing upon the mercy and love of God without considering His purpose and what it means in our life. 

Within each of us lies the Holy Spirit, with a purpose for your life.  A purpose that is to serve God Almighty with everything you have.  We eat from the garden of life and enjoy in the fruits, but are hesitant to actually step to the river and drink from His fullness.  In doing so, we are filled with the life changing presence of God that consumes one’s soul.  When we drink from His river our thirsts are forever quenched and our desire to serve and live for Him becomes overpowering.  This is what David describes in Psalm 42.  The longing for intimacy, for a deeper relationship with his Creator overwhelmed his soul. 

Do you not feel that same longing in your soul?  Has the message of God Almighty, through His word, become so watered down in your life that your passion has been calmed?  I propose that if we fully embrace the word of God, we could not help but run to His side and be filled with His Holy Spirit.  My soul longs for God to use me in a bigger way, yet am I truly willing to allow Him too?  That is the question that I, and many like me, struggle with daily.  The desire is there, but the willingness to submit control is lacking.  I lift my prayers to my Creator that He might soften my pride, my selfishness and create in me a heart that is more open to serving as He requires.  Won't you join me?
 
© Sondove Enterprises, 2012
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

2 comments:

  1. When I read that you struggle with "My soul longs for God to use me in a bigger way, yet am I truly willing to allow Him too?", I find that hard to believe. I have friends at church that I obviously hold to a higher level than others. It is like they have a direct line with God. I know that is wrong to think this way because those believers out there are all at different intervals and places on their walks with God. Yet the goal is the same ... to be a believer and to do God's work. I also need to be reminded that these people are human and sinful just like myself. We all have temptations and desires that are not on the path that Jesus wants us to be. I am very thankful though that he is willing to forgive me when I fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for His grace and forgiveness when we fall short of His righteousness. You are absolutely correct in saying that each of us are at different stages in our walk with Christ, and we should not be jealous or envious of others and their walk. God has called each of us to fulfill His mission in our life, and with joy I pursue it. Where my heart breaks is that He deserves so much more than I am willing to give. He gave everything for me, so that I might one day enter into His perfect and holy presence. His Son hung on a cross, every drop of blood shed that day was for the purpose of redeeming my soul. I see His eyes, filled with love and compassion and it breaks my heart that He was willing to love me so much, yet I am hesitant to give more of myself in return. This world (as a whole) has trivialized His salvation into a check-box on their application for heaven, without fully embracing the responsibility of walking in His light. When we figure that out, as the disciples and apostles of the early church did, we will discover the intimacy with the Holy Spirit and a resurgence in His presence once again. Be strong and be blessed my friend.

    ReplyDelete