Monday, August 5, 2013

Avoiding the Fight




Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." – Ephesians 4:2
 

  It’s all about the attitude.  You’re either thinking of yourself, or you’re thinking of others with every decision you make.  Sometimes the decisions are inconsequential, but most of the time there is some sort of direct correlation between a decision you make independently and an action that impacts another human being. Every day we are faced with decision after decision that will have an impact on our families, friends and loved ones.  You and you alone are responsible for how you handle those decisions that come your way.

  In making a decision, we must evaluate the bigger picture.  Should I buy that Harley Davidson that I’ve been looking at for the last year.  It’s still for sale, and I’m told that it runs perfect, brand new tires, low mileage and I’ve got the money in my savings account.  I deserve it, I’ve been saving for a long time, and I’ve been patient.  I won’t go further in debt, because I’ll pay cash for it.  When I tell this side of the story, it all sounds so good, my friends quickly tell me to just buy the bike and enjoy life.
What I hide from them though are the other things that I must consider.
  1)  We are saving for a new home as our family expands and our need for multi-generational living has emerged.
  2)  Our children’s Christian education is highly important to us and we must set aside money for tuition, books and uniforms.
  3)  My wife’s car needs repairs, there are loans to pay back, there are constant doctors, dentists and eye doctors that muse be paid.

  You see, in my mind, I’ve wanted a bike for so long, I deserve a bike and I should go buy the bike.  In the bigger picture those same $1 bills that would buy that motorcycle will reduce the stress around the home as we take on the financial obligations of raising our family.  This is no longer about me and my desires, it is about doing the right thing with the gifts God has provided so that the overall community which I love and adore will prosper and find peace, joy and happiness.

  We are called to love one another as Christ loved us (John 15:12).  He could have taken the easy way out, thought about Himself and stepped away from the charges brought against Him.  If He had done that though, your salvation and mine would have been lost forever.  His eyes were on the greater purpose of eternal love than on the immediate pain and suffering by which He would endure for us.

  Take your eyes off of yourself and focus on those around you.  Sometimes your decisions will be altered when you see it from their eyes.  Other times, it’s okay to spoil yourself, but always ensure you are loving them with your first and best fruit.   If more of us took this attitude in life, we would have many less arguments, controversies and fights in life.    
 
 
 
© Sondove Enterprises, 2013
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment