Sunday, August 11, 2013

Their Watching You


Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It
“Lord, I wanna be just like you, cause he wants to be just like me."
                            
            I Wanna Be Like You – Philips, Craig and Dean


 All right, I’ll admit it, I’m a highly sentimental old man.  I’ll blame it on growing old and watching my children grow up so fast.  This weekend I stood by why my boy celebrated his 8th birthday with 19 friends, as well as their parents, neighbors and family.  I found myself standing off to the side frequently just watching him, adoring him and loving him as he laughed, played and hung out with his friends.  It hurt a little, but was so incredibly wonderful to see him having fun, and it dawned on me at that very moment – he’s starting to separate, and I’m not quite ready for that yet. 

  He’s always been my lil’ boy, and it seemed all of a sudden that he’s not really so little any more.  I know I’m being silly, I mean really he’s only eight; but our relationship has definitely progressed to another stage, and in the back of my mind there is this enormous countdown clock that just passed the 7 year counter.  I’ll be blessed if I get another 7 years of his tenderhearted affection and playful jabs, loving embraces and countless cuddling opportunities.  With 4 girls and David, I’ve come to realize that boys break that Father/Son connection much quicker than girls and it makes me sad.

 Then today in church, I start to lose it again as Pastor Randy (The Crossing Church) tells the story of Abraham and Issac.  The love that Abraham had for God to even contemplate sacrificing his son continues to blow me away.  I couldn’t bring myself to answer that call on my life.  I wouldn’t with any of my children for that matter, and that makes me ask myself the hard question: “Do I trust God with the very life of my child?”  I am their father, I am their protector and provider and I am weak at the knees to think that I am not in control of a situation that puts them in danger. 
I love God to no end, without reservation; but I just don’t know that I could ever bring myself to the place of raising a knife over the bound body of my only son and trust that God would save him.  I know God protects His children from all harm, and loves them more than I could ever begin too.  But putting that faith and trust to the test is not something I ever wish to encounter.

I recognize that my children look to me more than I ever could realize.  They watch my reactions to problems, my love for their mother, my commitment to them and their events, my temper, my quiet time, my adherence and respect for the law, my love for God and my faith that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Lord.  Think about it, where did you learn to love Christ?  Was it from watching your parents, family members or friends?  Most likely it was.  Well, those little eyes around you are watching you to learn more about Him as well.
My prayer is that day after day, moment after moment I am becoming more like You God, because they want to be more like me.  If you’ve never heard this song from Philips, Craig and Dean – take two minutes this morning and listen to it, won’t you.  Then re-assess what you’re children are seeing in you that is influencing their decision to follow Jesus Christ.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z8bXcBRIU0 )


© Sondove Enterprises, 2013
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment