Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Purpose – Requires Obedience


October 15, 2014


“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” – Ephesians 2:10

When I saw them sitting on the curb of the parking lot, my heart felt compassion.  She had tears in her eyes, he had a look of desperation on his face and they both looked very hopeless, lost in this big world.  As they stood and walked into the restaurant, she went straight to the restroom and he ordered two glasses of water and sat down at a table near the door to wait.  His face buried in his hands, which were tattooed and covered in dirt.  Then came the voice in my head, “Give them everything in your pocket.”  Of course I think to myself that I’m just imagining things, so I try to rationalize it away: “they’ll just waste it”, “they’ll blow it on smokes or drugs”.  The voice returned, “It doesn’t matter what they do with it, the point is to give it to them because it is My will.”

Arguing with God is not a good idea.  His plan is always right and ours is often very wrong.  Needless to say I rose and walked across the room, approaching this young couple down on their luck.  As I neared them she returned and gave me a defensive look as he rose from his chair.  Before either could say anything, I reached in my pocket took out all of the folded up money in my pocket and handed it to the man, with the words, “God truly loves you and wanted me to give this to you.”  She started to cry, he gave me a very puzzled look.  Just then two others, similarly disheveled, came in and joined them, one carrying a baby.  I simply nodded and said, “Have a blessed day.” and went back to my table.

They took the money and each ordered some food, and took it with them out the door.  The young man though, turned and came to my table.  “Why?  Why, would you help us?”  I looked him in the eye and said, “When God tells you to do something, you do it.  He wanted me to give this to you, because He knows you needed to feel His love today.”  Tears in his eyes, he reached out and shook my hand.  “We haven’t eaten in 2 days, and we spent what little we had to get baby formula and diapers.  You have no idea how much we needed this.”  I shook my head, “No, I didn’t, but God did and always remember He will always be there to help and provide a way.”  He thanked me once again and walked away to meet up with his friends.

God is our provider, everything we have comes from Him and belongs to Him.  We are here to use it for His purpose.  We don’t have to understand the how and why, but we are called to be obedient.  I don’t tell you this story to speak of how wonderful I am, but of how loving and wonderful He is.  I can’t consider myself further blessed than to be used to enact a good deed upon the life of another.  Our good works are not to gain His approval, but are because of His love working through us.  He created me for good works, and if I am willing to be obedient and trust in Him, His purpose will be fulfilled in my daily walk.


© Sondove Enterprises, 2014
For more Daily Thoughts go to: http://sondove.blogspot.com
If you would like to be added to the email distribution please click here: Daily Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment