Thursday, May 12, 2011

True Perseverance

“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me”. – Philippians 4:13

I live in a community just outside of Houston, Texas.  In the 2000 Olympics there was a young girl from our church and community that surprised the world in the high dive competition.  Her name was Laura Wilkinson.  A few months before the Olympic Trials she shattered her right foot.  Through perseverance and remaining focused on the end game, Laura did not give up.  With only three weeks before the 2000 Olympics Trials began, Laura got back into the water to finalize her training.  She surprised everyone the first time by winning the Olympic Trials, and three months later she was off to Sydney, Australia for the Olympics. 
She started the Olympics in 8th place after her first dive, and then proceeded to surprise those watching the competition over the next few days as she climbed to 5th and then with a nearly perfect dive in her final round won the Gold medal.  I remember watching all of this as if it were yesterday, but what stuck in my mind with Laura wasn’t her determination or her come from behind win (as impressive as that was).  What made Laura Wilkinson’s Gold Medal win in the 2000 Olympics stick in my mind was her interview as she was leaving the diving venue that day.  When the NBC sports commentator asked her how she did it after breaking her foot only months before, her immediate reaction, without hesitation was, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”   This quote covered the globe at that moment and inspired people from every walk of life to pursue their dreams, not give up and trust in God . 

Whatever you are facing today; whatever challenges, whatever obstacles, whatever circumstances; you must first realize that you are a child of God.  You belong to Him and He wants nothing more than to see you succeed and bring glory to Him in the process.  Continually remind yourself of this throughout your day.  This is one of those scriptures that you need to keep in memory because it is true in any circumstance.  Your strength to overcome starts with your acknowledgement of who it is that gave you that strength.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father
,
You have blessed me Lord in all things.  Though I have struggles, temptations and worry in my life, I know I can trust in You to work in me and through me to overcome these challenges.  I give my problems to You: my financial worries, my health and my stress; that You will give me the strength to carry on.  In Your name we pray – Amen



http://www.10minutereader.com©Sondove Enterprises, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment