Sunday, October 23, 2011

Do You Still Believe?

Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It

“I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” – Luke 18:17
When she came home from school she was in tears, her eyes were puffy and red, obvious she had been crying for quite a while.  This was the beginning of Christmas break, what could have made this little 8 year old girl come home to her mother crying and sobbing so violently.  Drawing her close to her chest the mother finally calms the girl down, and begins investigating what could have caused this.  “Sweetheart – tell me what happened?”  Between sniffles and tears, with a quivering voice the young girl began telling her mother the story of how the kids on the bus had teased her all the way home from school.  “They said he’s not real.  They said I was stupid for believing.  They asked if I ever saw him or talked with him.  If he’s real, show us.”  The mother got a lump in her throat, she knelt down near to her daughter and held her close.  She knew this day would come, but she truly thought it was too early.  She looked into her daughter’s eyes and with quivering lips and a soft smile said, “Sweetheart, I’m sorry those kids were mean, children can be that way honey.  But, it is time you know the truth.  You see Santa isn’t a real person that comes down the chimney.  Your Dad and I tell you that to help you understand the love of giving gifts to others.  I’m so sorry.”  The little girl straightened up, looked squarely into her mother’s face.  “Mom,  I know there’s no Santa…. I’m talking about Jesus.”

Every child has an innate knowledge and understanding of God and Jesus.  The scriptures tell us that we are created by the hand of God, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb . I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;    your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” (
Psalm 139:13-14)  God breathes His spirit into every conceived child in the womb.  Forty weeks spent in the womb with the Lord will leave a lasting impression of deep love and comfort on the psyche of a child.  The child adheres only to those things that they feel secure around.  Don’t believe me?  Hand a crying baby to it’s mother, and the baby quiets down.  Hand a crying baby to a woman the baby is unfamiliar with and most of the time the crying will get worse. 

A child believes in God without ever meeting Him or understanding the complexities of salvation, grace, righteousness or repentance.  I propose they are able to accept His love based solely on a comfort level with someone already known. It is mankind that removes the innocent faith and acceptance; by applying logic, worldly perspectives and self seeking interests as the child matures.  I will go out on a limb and make a statement that the younger a child is the more pure and truthful their belief and faith in God is. This is the image of unabandoned faith and love, perhaps we should take record of their faith and learn from them.

Heavenly Father,
You have breathed life into each of us.  From birth You have expressed love for every child.  Forgive us Lord for walking away from Your righteousness and adopting the ways of this world.  Strengthen us Lord to stand firm on Your word and promises for truth and justice in this life.  In Jesus name we pray – Amen.



© Sondove Enterprises, 2011
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment