Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Look 'em in the Eye

“Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.” - Romans 15:7

So, I was walking through the park the other day and as I got closer I noticed people running out onto the baseball field. It was obvious that someone was injured near second base, and people were kind of hovering over top of him. I watched as the team members gathered around him and helped him from the ground. They proceeded to help him off the field and as they were carrying him, he was dragging one foot behind him. He must have sprained an ankle or hurt his knee.

What I really focused on though was the compassion and the camaraderie of his team members coming to his aid. I started thinking to myself, how often do we walk past people or ignore those who are hurting. Not just physically, but emotionally or spiritually; either through relationships and associations with individuals or those that have been harmed from events that have happened in their life. How often do we just walk past them without even knowing that they’re injured or hurting inside? As we move on with our busy lives are we blind to those around us in need of our compassion. We need to take a stronger position in helping other individuals. It is scriptural, all throughout the New Testament, we see Jesus stating that we are too help the widows and orphans, the sick, those in prison, the weak and the hungry.

We are to take the message of Jesus Christ to the people around the world. This is the Great Commission of our Savior and Lord. As we take that message, we must take it with love, for without love the message of Christ is empty. The love that Christ shared with mankind is so unbelievably strong, that if we are not sharing His love we are actually doing an injustice to our Creator. We may be doing good works, reading the bible and sitting in the pews on Wednesday night and Sunday, but if we are not helping others and spreading His words are we truly living up to what He asked of us.

As I watched this unfold before, and as I walked away, I got out to my car and it hit me. I reflected on my own life and the times I had avoided helping another person in need. On my trek home from the office everyday there is one particular corner where the pan-handlers stalk cars waiting at the stoplight. Most days I completely avoid eye contact because we all know once you make eye contact it’s the same as inviting them over for a chat. I think we all need to take a step back and understand what is it that we are avoiding when we avoid eye contact with another individual. What is your action saying to that person, and how is their self esteem and confidence impacted by our action or lack thereof? I’m not saying that we need to give the pan-handlers money in every circumstance, not at all. And it’s not just about the pan-handlers; it’s about the human race. We don’t have to give money, but we have to share Christ’s love. We at least need to take an effort to acknowledge them as individuals.

That’s my new motto to live by. Everybody is just as important as the next and deserves to receive the love of Jesus Christ. Who am I to refuse to share it with them? We all need a Savior and we all need His love, so that’s what I’m going to focus my mind on doing from here forward. I hope you’ll do the same. Take Care and Be blessed.

Heavenly Father,Loving Lord of the universe. We come before Your throne; seeking Your wisdom, confidence and courage to take on the challenge of spreading Your gospel. Give us Your gift of discernment so that we may help others without the fear of corruption and judgment. Help us to walk with a heart of compassion as You have taught us throughout the scriptures. In Your name I pray. Amen
© Sondove Enterprises, 2011
For more Daily Thoughts go to:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment