Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pure & Unconditional

“This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us”  – 1 John 4:10

God’s love is not predicated on your love. Isn’t that wonderful news? The simple truth of understanding God’s love is to understand that His love does not increase based on your choice to love Him more. Likewise His love does not decrease when your love for Him decreases. You cannot earn more love from Him based on your goodness, nor lose His love based on your failures and disappointments.

Can you accept that?

When we consider loving another or receiving love from another, we put optics on that include rules, requirements and stipulations. It’s so hard for us to just rest in the assurance that God loves us no matter what we do. When I come home from work, my three younger kids run up to the door throw their arms open and shower me with love. How can a father ever experience a more fulfilling joy than when his children pour out their love upon him. Their love for me is evidenced by their expressions of compassion and adoration. How am I in turn pouring out my love to my Father in heaven? Why doesn’t God deserve the same love that my children show to me? It’s a rhetorical question, because we know that He does deserve it and so much more. Yet, as deserving as He is of my love, it is not a condition for Him to in turn love me. I could never love Him enough to justify His love for me, nor is that required.

As children grow their expression of love tends to change with age. I recall when my 2 older girls were in high school and I would come home from work, they would look up from the TV or computer and acknowledge that I had entered the home with a simple, “Hey Dad”. Now, is there any evidence in their action that would lead me to believe that they loved me with the same depth as the younger ones mentioned above? Obviously, there is no visual or physical evidence of such, but I have never questioned their love for me. Likewise, the Lord does not look upon you and I with an eye of indebtedness and entitlement. In His omnipotence He knows the thoughts and emotions of mankind long before we can rationalize the feeling within our hearts. Knowing this, He still chooses to love us with an immutable love.

Pain will enter into your life. It’s inevitable. Friends and loved ones will turn their back on you in anger at times and feelings will be hurt. Words are said without thinking, actions are taken hastily and there are even times when violence takes place inexcusably. Your fellow man will cause you pain and anger, and likewise you will cause others pain at times. Despite those times, your Father in heaven is the only sure source of unconditionally, pure love. Rest in knowing that you can always come before God regardless of your hurt, anger, or actions and He will receive you, just as you are.

Almighty Father,
Your love is unchanging. You have promised us that You will never turn from us and that there is nothing we can do to remove ourselves from Your loving embrace. We are not worthy to be loved by the Creator of the Universe, this is as certain as the air we breathe. Yet, even in our disgrace and unworthiness Your love is ever present. Thank You Lord for loving us, and provide within each of us the compassion, humility and servants heart to give back to You the love You so deserve. In Your precious name we pray – Amen

© Sondove Enterprises, 2011
For more Daily Thoughts visit :
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment