Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Next Generation




Read It, Learn It, Live It, Share It

“You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.” – Deuteronomy 6:7

I worry a lot.  I worry about finances.  I worry about my kids safety.  I worry about my family’s health.  I worry about the upcoming election.  I worry about the homeless plight in America.  I worry about the children in 3rd world countries that haven’t eaten in days.  I worry about the unrighteousness that I see around me each day.  I worry about my ability to raise my children in the light of the Father.  It’s a natural obsession that many of us have – to worry.  There are those that will take the attitude of apathy and turn away from the things that need attention in our lives, and there are those that get up and do something about it.  I want to be the latter, but I often find myself in the mindset of helplessness and being the victim.  Here’s what gets me back up to fight for goodness and righteousness each and every day though – my kid’s need to see God through me.

I have been blessed with an amazing wife, 5 incredible children, a strong, courageous and hard working son-in-law and 2 beautiful Grand Daughters.  When my life is showing weakness, they see it.  They are impacted and will take away from me a perspective that will influence their life.  As the worries pile up and become visible to them, their strength and confidence in solving big problems is deteriorated.  Worry will cause depression, anger, resentment, confusion and self-centeredness.  As I become overwhelmed with situations in life, it is often very easy to draw back into the area of comfort where I am in control.  This is often a place where I am less concerned about others and focused on myself.  In this place, I have become selfish and apathetic to the concerns of mankind.  That is not who God created me to be.

My children need to see how God works through mankind to take on the biggest problems in the world.  They need to see a father who is strong in faith, courage, hope and peace.  The scriptures give us the wisdom on how to trust in God and to step back and let Him have control.  It takes patience though and as humans, we are not good in that arena.  I am learning to lean into God when I don’t see the pathway through the forest.  I want to follow Him and demonstrate for my children, His strength, fortitude, wisdom and grace in all circumstances.  Numerous times throughout the scripture we are told of God doing amazing miraculous things when mankind would get out of the way and let Him work through them.  I think of Gideon, I think of Samson, I think of King David, I think of Esther, I think of Joseph, I think of Noah, I think of John, Peter and Paul – each faced unbelievable challenges and overcame them, because the trusted in God’s plan and allowed Him to lead.  Example after example is given where the world was against these individuals and they demonstrated the love, strength, courage and wisdom of the Lord enough to endure and press on. 

This same authority is available to each of us today as we take on the problems of today’s world.  We must get to a point when we realize that God is God, He hasn’t changed and wants to use each of us in a mighty way just like He used those mentioned above.  If we can trust that, and believe it to be true, then the problems of this world become much more manageable.  It is when we look at the problems with through our own ability to solve the problems that they are completely overwhelming.  Let your children see upon your face the strength of trusting in God when you are faced with adversity.  In doing so, you are building a foundation for their strength and courage which will be required in their years to come.
             
© Sondove Enterprises, 2012 
For an archive of Daily Thoughts go to: http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment