Friday, September 12, 2014

Finding Me - Day 5


September 12, 2014


Every single one of us will leave a legacy.  You are influencing people each and every moment in either a constructive manner or in a destructive manner.  Those around you are watching and learning from your actions, your words and your mannerisms, and long after you have passed away they will be carrying on what they have learned.  This I’ve learned over time as I watch my children, my grandchildren and my friends and see small characteristics show up in their lives that remind me very much of myself.

I’ve come to face it there are truly only two major decisions in life: “Will I follow Christ?” and “Will I live for His purpose or mine?”  The decision on marriage is a really close third, but falls short of deciding your eternal fate and serving the Lord.  As I near another pinnacle in my life I ask myself, have I truly lived for God or has my life been focused on obtaining my goals, my dreams and my comfort.   I look at those around me and ask if I have had an influence on them and helping them draw closer to God.  For you see, when it all comes down to it, I don’t want my children to be like me; I want them to be like Jesus.   If indeed it is my desire that they grow up and serve Him in a manner that He deserves, then I ought to demonstrate that for them. 

Day 5: Choose to Serve
“Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” – Joshua 24:14-15

God has placed within each of us a purpose on this earth that can only be fulfilled by exercising the gifts and talents He alone has placed within us.  We must choose to be faithful and serve Him by using these gifts for His purpose.  In doing so, He will take the little bit we bring to the table and use it in mighty ways to influence those around us to do even greater things long after we’re gone.  To our children’s children and their children the influences of our life will have lasting effects.  Leave them something worth holding onto.

Prayer:
Father,
You have given me grace and mercy, that I may one day be with You in heaven.  I pray today that Your words are upon my lips and that my actions represent Your love for mankind.  Help me to overcome the selfishness, conceit and ego that stand between me and the purpose You have called me into.  I want serve You and bring You glory through my actions.   – Amen

Sondove Enterprises ©, 2014
For additional Daily Thoughts, follow Rich’s blog at: http://sondove.blogspot.com
Facebook at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/10-Minute-Reader-Daily-Thoughts/108926632475457 
Twitter at:
https://twitter.com/Sondove

No comments:

Post a Comment