Monday, August 29, 2011

A Legacy worth Leaving

"I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will never take my love away from him... ” - 1 Chronicles 17:13a
All men will one day pass away. It is written and has been the case since time began. Do you have a plan on how to avoid the inevitable? Some are looking into cryogenics, phylactery and of late even the immortality of vampires. So what is your plan? There are things in life that are absolutes: do you think the sun will come up, or do you know it will? Do you think you love you kids or do you know you do? Do you think it is right to be honest or do you know it is? These are absolutes that you know the answer too. Now do you think you can cheat death or do you know it?

So, assuming we can all agree that death will indeed catch up with us, have you thought about what will happen to those you leave behind? In 1 Chronicles 17:13 we find Nathan communicating God's plans with David regarding David's legacy. God delivers a message to David about Solomon. God states clearly that He will be with Solomon after David has passed away. He provides comfort to David that He will always love him and shepherd him as a father would a son.

This challenges me to ensure that I am setting my children up with a love for Christ that will last well beyond my life. I cannot save them myself, it is something they must come to on their own. But, I must give them every opportunity, example and encouragement as possible as they pursue His ways. Their ability to impact this world will far exceed mine and the legacy that I hope to leave is one that will carry for generations to come. There will come the day that I will join those saints near my Father's throne and have a comfort level based on this verse that He will carry them forward with love and guidance to make a significant impact on the world. Today, give some thought to your legacy and be sure to encourage your children and family in the ways of the Lord, so that you can feel the peace and comfort should the inevitable happen.
Heavenly Father,
You have provided for my needs, my wants and my desires throughout my life.  I have looked to Your word for guidance and understanding.  You have given me the freedom of choice and I choose You.  Help me to share this faith, love and understanding with my children, that in turn they may walk in Your light and experience Your glory. In Your name I pray – Amen

© Sondove Enterprises, 2010
For More Daily Thoughts visit:
http://www.10minutereader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment